1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P&G question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bmg21, May 17, 2008.

1. bmg21

bmg21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    First time post here so sorry if this has been mentioned. We just bought an 08 prius and have about 15-20 days to wait here in Minnesota.

My question is about P & G in other cars without the hybrid technology. Just recently I have been coasting in my 5 speed manual 90 dodge shadow. I was just curious if the Pulse to say 50 mph, than coast for 1/2 mile or longer depending on the terrain would help mpg in the way the P & G does in the prius.

While I know the ICE in the shadow would not turn off, is it still a good idea to do this?

Brandon

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :welcome: Welcome to PriusChat, Brandon!
    P&G really works on the Prius since the ICE shuts off, but the practice of running the ICE at its optimum power output rpm applies to all vehicles. Perhaps of more benefit to conventional cars, and multiplied in the Prius, is learning to anticipate traffic flow and not speeding. When you see the stop light turn red a half-mile ahead, take your foot off the gas; why maintain speed and then brake?

Practice now. You'll get a bit better fuel efficiency now and even better in your Prius. Congratulations!

3. bmg21

bmg21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the info! I figured it would not hurt to practice now. I've noticed with just coasting in town how much I have not used the gas pedal. Pretty amazing, although I have not had to fill up so really don't know the gas mileage I've been saving.

Brandon