1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P LOCK Problem ? Causing a Starting Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DCM, Mar 26, 2015.

1. DCM

DCM New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    In the past month the P Lock malfunction (07 Prius) indicator light has come and stayed on. Twice in the past month after going into a store it would not start. After waiting around 5 minutes and pressing the start button a bunch of times it finally started. The battery reads 12.17 volts. I disconnected the battery to see if it would reset the malfunction indicator. It did not and I am worried one of these days it won't start at all. Any suggestions?

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That error message is a classic low 12V problem, as is your startup problem. Either fully charge the battery, and make sure the connections are tight, or replace it now if it is old. Your reading of 12.17 volts does not give any confidence in the viability of the present battery.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    To put it another way, the P Lock problem isn't causing the starting problem--they're both symptoms of the battery condition.

5. DCM

DCM New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    That's what I've been reading which is why I checked the battery. Sounds like any kind of load may be dropping it under 9 or 10 volts. The battery is 8 yrs old. Will change it and see what happens. Thanks!