1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0016 error on 2006 Prius 70,000miles - is it hard to DIY replace the timing chain?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by afia2k8, Dec 29, 2022.

1. afia2k8

afia2k8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi guys,

I'm in the UK. As per title I have a 2006 Prius and i only do 3,000 miles per year. Recently I had this P0016 code popped up. I deleted it and it would come back on. From my research it looks like the timing chain needs replacing. From youtube videos it looks DIY is doable and will probably take 5 hours. But I'm not sure about the specifics, for example, do I need to drain the oil and coolant before attempting it?

I have DIY maintained this Prius myself for 8 years - oil changes, air/cabin filter, replaced rear Strut spring, HV battery fan clean, front and rear pads and discs, 12v battery, replaced spark plugs.

Is changing the timing chain something I can DIY or best send to a garage?

Also, with a basic kit do? OR is it better to get a full kit with new intake cam gear and stuff which is £200 extra (See pictures attached)

Thanks in advance!
    WhatsApp Image 2022-12-07 at 16.26.26.jpeg image_2022-12-29_175237501.png

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Before jumping in to replacing parts, you should do a couple things.

First is to get a copy of the factory service manual. That will have the complete procedure.

Second is to diagnose the fault. Your engine could have a timing chain fault- stretched chain, jumped chain, broken guide, etc. You would have to pull the valve cover and check cam timing per the manual.

I have seen at least one Gen2 that set a P0016 when it had a stuck VVT oil control valve. It should have set P0011 or P0012 but didn't.

Timing chain replacement is moderately advanced level work. You can do it if you pay attention to details and follow the manual exactly. That said, there are posts where someone tried and failed to do this- sometimes they could fix their mistake, sometimes they bent valves.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

ANDRAS RIMELY likes this.
  3. afia2k8

afia2k8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. I have the Prius repair manual 2005 pdf - 4028 pages. But cat seem to find any procedure on how to change the timing chain

2. There are no other codes. I know where the VVT oil control valve, crankshaft, and camshaft sensors are. Shall i test them first with a multimeter?

For me if I'm opening the valve cover i might as well go all the way and change the timing?

4. afia2k8

afia2k8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also, it's a prius gen 2 which uses the Toyota 1NZ-FXE engine. So I will be following this youtube video which has the engine out of the Car and he's doing a teardown:

Will also follow this video which has the engine still in the car:

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At only 70k, it is unlikely that the chain/sprocket needs replacing, unless the oil was never changed.

How long have you owned this vehicle, and what kind of MPGs are you getting?

Who normally changes the oil and at what interval (with synth or dino), do you ever check the oil level yourself?

If you set a DTC P0016 then I would read these threads before spending a bunch of time/money on this vehicle.

P0016 Error Code | PriusChat and Codes P0011 and P0016 ?? | PriusChat

Try inspecting/cleaning the vvti oil control valve and filter first : VVT Oil Filter? Poor MPG'S? | PriusChat

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. afia2k8

afia2k8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I've had this vehicle for 8 years. Usually I would get 40mpg but since this P0016 code came up i've been averaging 25mpg. Apart from that there's No other symptoms.

Sometimes I let the garage change the oil, sometimes I do it myself (I buy oil service kit from toyota dealer, full synthetic). Yes I check the oil level myself. I've actually just changed the oil in September and now this code came up in December.

I do about 3,000 miles a year. I'll be honest oil change intervals aren't great, it gets changed about every 15 months/3,500 miles as sometimes I'm away for awhile.

I have read those threads before posing. Looks like I should clean the vvt ocv first and test it with a multimeter before doing the timing. Can I clean it with brake cleaner or should I get the specific cleaner?

#6 afia2k8, Dec 29, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
  7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Opening the valve cover is way easier than timing chain... And to think there's a problem with timing chain at only 70K miles on a Prius is like thinking you have the same problem with a regular car with less than 40K miles, because hybrid cars don't use the engine as often.

Any signs of rodents chewing on wires?

Timing chain should be a last resort once you've exhausted all the other options... First step is to see what the spark plugs look like and make sure the sensors are ok and you've cleaned throttle body, mass air flow sensor, new air filter, have a healthy 12v battery and your tires are at max PSI. I bet you do all that and you 25mpg issue will be resolved.

As in the Gen2 engine is one of the most reliable engines Toyota has ever built and there's no known problems with this car's timing chain until you're up near 400K miles and at that age it's always gonna burn lots of oil before timing chain goes bad.

8. afia2k8

afia2k8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No rodents or signs of chewing. I know what you mean, but from research it looks like all 2006 prius will have this P0016 timing issue no matter the mileage, as confirmed here by this user on reddit who owns multiple Gen 2s:

r.eddit.com/r/electricvehicles/comments/f4q4d1/used_toyota_prius_15_hsd_20042009_review_after/

Just to clarify my mileage has always been fine averaging 40+ mpg. It was only when this code turned up it's suddenly dropped to 23mpg but ive not noticed any Other symptoms.

My current mileage is around 74,000 miles. Checking my excel sheet:
    - i had 4x spark plugs changed (bought from toyota dealer) in Sept 2021 at 70,400.
    - Then i've done full service (service kit parts bought from toyota dealer - oil/oil filter, air/pollen filter) in Sept 2022 at 73,400
    - I've yet to clean the Throttle body or mass airflow sensor.
    - I last changed the 12v battery to Bosch s4 022 on August 2020 at 66,410 miles. I believe it needs replacing as after 5 days of not driving my car will not start (probably due to dashcam parking mode set at 12.4v, which is the most I can do). I am waiting for the store to reopen after new years to buy an AGM deepcycle mobility battery Ritar 12v-55ah as recommended by one of the forum users).

Just did a quick youtube video. looks like the valve cover is indeed not too difficult to remove. so after everything it's just a case of removing the valve cover - check whether the markings are on the cam dots (so it hasnt jumped a tooth), and whether it's on tight? If it's on loose means chain has stretched or chain tensioner needs replacing. Is this correct?

I have approached 4 garages. I would need to get the Parts Kit myself, but they can do it for me Labour only between £270 to £360. One garage said he doesn't have a special timing tool so can't do it for me (not sure what he means, from the video you can just tie some rope at the bottom to stop it spinning)

#8 afia2k8, Dec 29, 2022
  9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm right at 300K never even heard of this code but I know it exists but just never heard of it at 300k I'm barely using any oil maybe over my 10,000 mi oil change I might add a quart and a half two at the most at 10,000 mi generally takes me 3 months oil comes out a little darker than it went in but by no means dark brown or black you can still see through it as it's running out The one NZ is a very stout engine It is almost like some of the older good engines at Toyota made like the 2/3 TC.. 3SGTE Beams etc . They make a rally version of the 1NZ etc I would be pretty shocked that you would have messed up timing set in that car I would certainly be checking the VVTI valve and any of that stuff and then try again matter of fact I've never seen anything like 25 miles per gallon when my hybrid battery was completely failed I was still driving the car the car would charge discharge charge discharge the battery in a block's time battery was toast I know that when I took it out for the new one I picked up at the dealer gave them the old one right there in the parking lot with the seriously defective hybrid battery I was still getting 37 or so miles to the gallon for weeks I can't imagine a Prius getting 28 miles to the gallon of 24 so there again if that's really accurate and that's what you're really getting something is seriously wrong but I would think for the timing to be causing that you would have like no acceleration everything would be all fubar as far as valve timing would go I mean just one tooth off in these things yields horrid running One of the VVTI doflachees not clicking back and forth or doing what it's supposed to do. I guess you could maybe get into the twenties I don't know that for a fact.

10. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thing to think about is whether that code is accurate. What device are you using to read codes? Seems very unusual for a Gen 2 to have timing chain issues at 70k miles. Anything is possible, but I would want to be 100% certain I wasn't chasing a ghost.

11. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    2006 Prius timing chain RR

Attached Files:

afia2k8 and Tombukt2 like this.
  12. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I thought it could be done with the engine in place because of the three was done that way. And I've done hordes of others the same way usually faster I can't imagine pulling the engine to work on the front of it generally speaking at least not where I'm at.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. afia2k8

afia2k8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the 8 years i've owned it I've never noticed any burning of oil. But it's probably because I don't drive it enough, only 3,000 to 4,000 miles a year in the UK.

14. afia2k8

afia2k8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Went to the garage and their laptop had the same exact code - P0016

15. afia2k8

afia2k8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you just what I needed! So according to the pdf it looks like I do need to drain the oil and engine coolant. Do you know how long a job like this will require? 5 hours?

16. afia2k8

afia2k8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe it can be done with the engine in place. And the front right wheel removed to access the bottom part. Looks like the PDF is showing that too. Do you know how long a job like this will usually take?

I still don't get why the garage said i need a special timing tool to change it

17. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Generally you need the special tool if there's one called for in the manual I didn't look on some of the older engines and some of the newer ones I've worked on there's a piece of metal with notches in it that you put the cams at whatever they supposed to be at drop the piece of metal on the two slots or holes and it keeps the two cams for moving while you're fitting the chain getting slack right and offering the tensioner upper what have you. The garage may have gotten that one NZ engine mixed up with something else that they've worked on used to be a lot of vehicles or engines required a tool to hold the cams I've done it a bunch of time without the tools and just get everything lined up move it back just to see here get the chain on run it up push the slack where the tensioner goes see if everything spot on and go. I would guess in the neighborhood of six to eight hours I don't know what the book pays probably about 14

18. afia2k8

afia2k8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks!
    1. Can I do it without draining the oil and coolant? I've only just changed the oil in 3 months ago and the coolant last year.
    2. Shall i change the PCV valve and Engine water pump whilst im at it?
    3. Is there anything else that's worth changing whilst i'm there?

#18 afia2k8, Dec 29, 2022
  19. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Remove the VVT oil control valve from the cylinder head. Carefully connect two wires to the electrical terminals and briefly power it with 12V. You should a pronounced "click" and see the metal piece inside the oily end of the valve (in the slots) move some.

Look through the timing chain procedure, it will show how things should line up . At Top Dead Center on cylinder #1, the marks on both cam sprockets should point up (12:00). The colored links on the chain are only used for initial installation and likely won't line up (they will, but only once every 40 revolutions or so).

I would drain the oil into a funnel and clean plastic jug then you can reuse it.

You can do the same with the coolant if you want- you do need to drain the system because the timing cover has passages for the water pump.

Figure on at least double the amount of time that you think it will take. All the sealing surfaces need to be carefully cleaned off. Once you have the new timing parts on (be sure the chain tensioner is unlocked) and have rotated the engine 2 revolutions and rechecked alignment, then you can carefully apply a THIN bead of RTV sealer to the timing cover and refit it.

It can be very tricky to get the cover in position without smearing or dislodging some of the RTV.

Water pump, if there is any signs of seepage - pink residue around the "weep hole" behind the pulley. PCV valve, maybe spark plugs, (be careful fitting a new crank seal to the timing cover). Look at the water pump drive belt and tensioner pulley condition. Clean the throttle body bore and MAF sensor.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#19 mr_guy_mann, Dec 29, 2022
    afia2k8 likes this.
  20. afia2k8

afia2k8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Thank you so much! Will drain the oil and coolant then. I'll check the VVT oil control valve first before attempting anything. Also,

1. Can I just buy any scraper or is there an automative specific one? Plastic or metal scraper?
    2. So it's best to ask a friend to help when it comes to putting on the Timing cover back on to prevent smearing/dislodging some of the RTV sealer?
    3. If I were to open the Valve cover just to check whether the timing is loose, is it ok to put the cover back on? Or will the valve cover gasket be damaged?
    4. What do I have to be careful with when fitting a new crank seal?
    5. Picture attached, are the gears a simple case of removing and putting the new one on?

Water pump drive belt was changed last year and tensioner pulley looks fine. With regards to cleaning the throttle body bore and MAF sensor, do I need to get specific cleaners or will carb or brake cleaner do?

Many thanks

Attached Files: