1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0138 Code help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nwoodco1, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Nwoodco1

Nwoodco1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    am really at a loss (limited mechanic skills here), but my 2007 Prius has a P0138 code and I'm wondering what I should check. I replaced the O2 sensor with an OEM sensor but the code came right back. What should I check?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you replaced the right oxygen sensor?
    There several things that can cause the problem.
    1. Check to be sure that its the sensor underneath the car you need to replace (that's sensor two!).
    2. If you did that, and it still didn't work, check the wiring harnesse from the ECU straight to the sensor concerned itself.
    3. There might an open/short circuit problem on that harness.
    If you have rats over there, they may have spliced them.
    4. After doing all that and the problem still persists, check for exhaust leaks at the exhaust assembly.
    A slight leak, would caused this code, and you'd have a rich condition(excess fuel consumption).
    5. Make sure there aren't intake air leaks also at the manifold, or throttle assembly.

Hope this helps.

PS: clear the codes first with a scantool, or have the battery(12v) disconnected for awhile, before reconnecting back to clear the codes.
    If it comes back, after some drive cycles, then the problem is still not solved.

4. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That DTC is for the REAR O2 sensor and indicates the ECM is getting a signal voltage that is ABOVE expected, so not a rodent problem as they generally cause low voltage codes.

Did you replace the front of rear sensor? This *can* also be due to an overly rich condition, but there are no codes for the FRONT O2 sensor for that condition, so it is very unlikely.