1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0301 came and gone – what to expect next

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by starsd, Jul 27, 2022.

1. starsd

starsd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    hey all,
    I have a 2010 IV with 139k+ miles, Original H - battery, plugs/coils..etc. No problems yet..

So in the last year or so, Engine has made knocking noises a few times at start up in both cold and warm climates.
    Recently, it wasn’t driven for 2 months while I was not home.
    But car was started every other week by someone in the family,
    ( Start car & Engine, then engine shuts down, then off ), And it made Knocking noise once at start up.

After 2 months when I came home, and started the car, BOOM... CEL came on, --> Autozone reader said P0301 with Cyl 1 Misfire detected.
    I drove around about 60 miles over next 2 days, then All of a sudden, CEL is “ GONE “.

I think P0301 will be back later at some point, Right ??
    and after reading about this Dreaded P0301 problems here….I’m debating if I should,

1- Sell it before CEL came back on again

2- Or ride it out and expect to spend a few thousand $ on fixing several possible P0301 related problems
    ( From what I read, P0301 fix can be elusive, and maybe 75 % of P0301 ended up needing Head Gasket replacement ?? )

please feel free to input your opinions, comments and suggestions.

Thanks in advance !
    BTW- still looking for good/ knowledgeable shop in DFW area

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    change the plugs and swap coils around to see if the misfire moves. have a leak down test done to check the head gasket