1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0420 and battery charge screen

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by NoPrevius, Jan 6, 2013.

1. NoPrevius

NoPrevius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey folks

Just picked up a 2005 with 146k and full Toyota service history, although seems a steering recall was not done. Will run it to the dealer tomorrow to check.

I need to decide a.s.a.p. if I am keeping the car or not (I know the seller, he will take it back)

Anyway to cut a long story short, two questions.

1) Car had P3190 and P0420 when I got it. Seller reset, drove home and within 5 minutes on the road the CEL was back on. Checked the codes at home and see only a P0420. Much to worry about? Seems this might be big (Cat) or small (O2). Car getting great mileage - 60mpg at 60mph and it seems to be running great. Should I worry or forget about it? Note I am in Florida with no inspections.

2) Seems that on the highway the battery display on the energy screen is mostly minus the top 2 bars i.e. just in the blue. In town it creeps up to minus 1 bar, i.e. all green. I haven't seen it full of green bars yet. Does this imply that there is an issue here?

3) OK, 3 questions. I have a 400 yd driveway. If I pull up to get the mail at the road after a long drive home I can do the full 400yds at 10mph on battery only. Creeping this speed up each time so may get more speed out of it. But, when I start the car first thing and go to drive away I get 50yds tops before the motor kicks in. Again, anything to worry about? Or is cold start batter performance poor?

4) OK, 4 questions. What have the Romans done for us etc.... Car only has one key (and has Smart start). Best (i.e. cheapest and easiest) way to get a spare key made?

BTW Have done about 200 miles so far and it's behaving really well. As am I, as my other ride is a 540i...

Loved the Toyota owners site and ability to plug in a Vin and get the history. Hugely helpful and reassuring. Also, FYI, plugged my VIN into Google and up popped a link to a full carfax. Which was nice.... ;o)

Thanks all.

2. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Congratulations and welcome to the Prius way of thinking.

1. OBD2 Error code P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold possible CHEAP FIX for any car. . It may be a O2 sensor.

2.Others will know more, but this doesn't sound too uncommon to me. But you might check the charging through the MFD.

3. My 05 will run on electric only up to 42 mph with a good charge. But upon first starting for the day the ICE will kick on in just a few minutes. Sounds normal to me based on the experience of my car.

4. Language, road building, architecture. Replace the first one before losing use of the second one as I understand it is much more expensive then to replace.