1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

p0420 code can it trigger code p3125

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Toyotafreeman, May 28, 2009.

1. Toyotafreeman

Toyotafreeman New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok I have a 2003 Toyota Prius with 166,000 miles on it. I have had the p0420 code come up several times and I am going to get my catalytic converter made from davico. But I got another code which is p3125.....would the catalytic converter trigger that code into coming on? My prius as i was driving it to the shop today the little caution light came on and then the e-brake came on....is that normal when the cat converter goes out? Please help? I am getting a company that is gonna make a exact replica of the converter i got now....so I will let you know how that goes. Pretty good price too around 300 bucks for a whole new converter/pipe assembly

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P3125 means that the inverter is not working properly. This has nothing to do with the catalytic converter.

As you probably know, the catalytic converter has an HCAC (hydrocarbon absorption chamber) which is unique to Classic Prius. I don't know how you are going to get an aftermarket product for only $300 unless the HCAC comes from a salvage vehicle.

Considering your high odometer reading, it is possible that the inverter has failed. It is also possible that the inverter coolant pump is not running which caused the inverter to overheat. If the pump is working you may be able to hear it (near the driver's side headlamp) and you should see turbulence in the inverter coolant reservoir. You should also note the fluid level is higher in front of the reservoir as compared to the fluid level elsewhere in the reservoir.

3. Toyotafreeman

Toyotafreeman New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well it looks like I have finally got the money to get this fixed....My cat converter was not the problem. It was the inverter from what toyota says. Now I am going to have to get it replaced. My code was p3125. I am gonna get this car fixed so...then i am gonna sell it and never get a hybrid again....anyone interested inbuying it?

4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm in Huntsville AL, 3.5 hours away. And I make 'house calls.'

Lets touch base again on Friday. Depending upon weather and my wife's health, I could be there mid-morning Saturday ... with the dog and tools.

Bob Wilson

6. Toyotafreeman

Toyotafreeman New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you a hybrid Certified Technician? And also what would it cost for you to come up here and change the inverter?

7. Toyotafreeman

Toyotafreeman New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    on that inverter you posted the only thing that dont match is the number on the very bottom the one that is for sale has KC17W055 and mine has MA21w049 Will that be compatible?

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The important number is the part number, which is G9200-47070 on the unit for sale. That inverter is from a 2001.

If your current inverter has a part number suffix greater than 47070, I would recommend you pass on buying this particular unit.

9. Toyotafreeman

Toyotafreeman New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    its the same number so i am good with this part. Thanks for your help you guys here at Prius chat are great

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One last thought: your OP dates back to May 2009. If your car's just been sitting around idle for 8-9 months, there is a reasonable probability that the traction battery is dead by now.

11. Toyotafreeman

Toyotafreeman New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

When i have the battery charger on it says the traction battery has a quarter of its life left....The main battery comes on the screen also...does that mean my battery is dead? Won't the inverter charge it once it is replaced?

12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the main battery icon appears on the MFD, that is evidence that the traction battery ECU has logged a DTC.

The traction battery SOC gauge reading of 25% is also not good as the Classic SOC gauge normally will read either 50% or 75%.

Once you get the inverter working again, maybe it will restore the traction battery. However, be advised that you may also need to replace that battery.

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well if you're looking for a "Certified Technician," I'm not qualified. No doubt the other "Certified Technicans" posting here will continue to help.

I'll pass and stay in Huntsville with my spare inverter, two volumes of Toyota Maintenance manuals, Electrical Wiring Diagram, Graham scanner, test instruments, tools, and five years of self-maintenance. You win, I'll stay home:
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

14. kenopa

kenopa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I've had p0420 off and on for about 2 years now, with no apparent reduction in performance. However, wife is angry at living with CEL nearly always on, so will repair/replace cat this spring.

By the by, Bob, when my 2003 developes some critical problems, I'll ask to bring it down to Huntsville if I have to carry it on my back. You're "certified" enough for me.

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Failure of the catalytic converter will not impact vehicle driveability or performance. The main concern is that the car is emitting more air pollution than necessary.

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sounds like a plan. If I can find an excuse to head up Nawth again, I'll try to visit. I'll bring my own grits and Dr. Pepper. <grins>

Bob Wilson

17. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    OP may have just been asking, and not meaning to imply that you aren't skilled or qualified...

18. Toyotafreeman

Toyotafreeman New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly....There are a lot of people that know alot about these cars but never have worked on them....would not want someone workin on my car screwing it up even more....I know you are the same way bob. I was in no way tryin to offend you. Sorry If i did....I will be getting my car towed sometime next week unless there is someone that is close that can fix this for me....be a good chance for someone to earn 300 bucks

19. Toyotafreeman

Toyotafreeman New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    here are some pictures that i got from the car.

One picture is just when the car is turned over one time and it shows no battery life.....the second one is one with a little bit of battery it is when i try to start it......Any ideas if my battery is gone along with my inverter

Attached Files:

20. jk450

jk450 New Member

What steps would you have taken to diagnose the inverter?