1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A0F and P3190

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by awommy, Mar 31, 2016.

1. awommy

awommy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2004 Prius with 215,000 miles on it. It recently shut down and threw the P0A0F and P3190 codes at me.
    The car had been running fine for quite a while, then my check engine light came on. I plugged in the techstream, and while I was plugged in, it displayed the red warning triangle, which I can link to the P0A0F.

The original codes, before the warning light flashed on, were
    • P0172
    • B1421
    • B2775
    • B2795
    • C2318
    Once I had reset these codes, I have consistently been receiving only the P0A0F and P3190.
    After reading through what I could find on PriusChat, I have done the following:
    • Sprayed clean the MAF sensor
    • Cleaned the throttle body
    • Replaced the MAF sensor
    • Put an extra 2 gallons of gas in (although the meter still has three bars on it)
    • Checked to make sure the oil isn't too full (it's halfway between the min and max indicators).
    As far as what's happened recently, I have very recently done an oil change. But like I said above, the oil is reading halfway between min and max currently.
    I'm about out of ideas on what to try next, short of replacing the whole fuel tank. Any ideas?

Mrs.Diamond likes this.
  2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What is the condition of the spark plugs and coils?

Can you check the fuel pump with Techstream?

3. awommy

awommy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just swapped out all four spark plugs. Looks like it was time for them to be changed anyway. However, still having the same issues.

It looks like I can do some tests with the fuel pump on Techstream. I've got the battery charging up again right now, so I'll try that in a little while.

I noticed that if I turn the car on and put it straight into drive or neutral, that the engine seems to run fine. I'm a little nervous to take it out of the garage, though, so i've just been idling not in park. The engine will run longer and sounds healthier when I do that, but still not in great shape, and still shuts off and throws the codes again.

4. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    While it's idling, maybe try some injector cleaner if you haven't done that yet.

5. awommy

awommy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So there is a way to manually turn on the fuel pump with Techstream. Manual said to listen to hear if it activates. I heard it turn on, although I'm not sure exactly what to listen for. But there is something distinctly turning on and off as I toggle it in techstream. Here's some screenshots. Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 6.23.20 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 6.22.59 PM.png

Dino33ca likes this.
  6. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can test manually by pulling the fuel line out of the fuel rail and putting it into an empty water bottle or similar. Then remove the rear seat bottom and put 12V power on the fuel pump and see if it is actually pumping fuel. You will need to take the round cover off the fuel pump access under the seat and need a second person to hold and watch the water bottle.

If it is fuel pump find a used gas tank and replace the whole thing. You will need a 2004-2005, newer ones have different connections and will leave the CEL on.

SFO likes this.
  7. awommy

awommy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I towed the car to the Dealership. They ran their tests, and are 100% positive that the issue is a bad throttle body. They said that it's not responding to the techstream when they try to activate it.
    They want $1200 in parts and labor! I asked how much it would be if I brought my own part, and they still want $488 for labor. I think I can get the part for less than $100 and do it myself.

Any tips on replacing a throttle body? I saw on one video that the electronics need to be calibrated upon installation. How would I go about that?

UPDATE: Got it towed back from the dealership, and replaced the throttle body. Ran some tests in Techstream and watched it open and close just fine. However, I'm still getting the same issues with low power and failure to start. In fact, the engine is starting up the same way that it was before I replaced the throttle body.

I don't know what else I can try...

8. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Did you or the dealer ever test the fuel pump volume (post #6)? Did you clean fuel injectors?

(BTW, with Techstream you shouldn't have to do the work at the fuel tank suggested in #6, just under the hood.)

9. awommy

awommy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, we've been saving for a newer car for a while now, and I'm stumped on this issue. Seems like it should operate fine, but I can't get past this problem. I'm going to post it for sale, in case someone does want to take a whack at fixing it. It runs pretty well, if you can get it past this.

Posting a better description in the Prius Cars for Sale thread.

10. stockdaddy

stockdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If all this happened shortly after you had an oil change then most likely your problem is that the oil was overfilled and the oil got into the intake manifold causing the codes.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Probably not, reading his description: he just recently changed it, and it's about mid-way between the two marks.

12. awommy

awommy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I remember, when swapping out the Throttle Body, there was some gunk down in the intake manifold. Is that difficult to clean? Can I just reach down there with a rag and wipe up what I can reach? Could that actually make any difference?

13. stockdaddy

stockdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Throttle body cleaning vids:

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've seen that oil as well, looking through the throttle body, even daubed up a bit. But have never overfilled the oil.

15. awommy

awommy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Throttle body itself seems fine. I really don't think that specifically is the issue, especially since I've already tried cleaning it and replacing it.

Looking past the throttle body, there's a lot of residue in the intake manifold. Last night I removed the throttle body to get a better opening into the intake manifold. I used a paint stick and an old t-shirt and just scrubbed up as much of the residue that I could. There was quite a bit. Then I put a little bit of seefoam to help break up the rest of it.

When I restarted the car, it ran for much longer than normal before it threw codes again. It still didn't sound the healthiest, still low RPM and some knocking, but the longer it ran, the better it sounded. It did smoke a lot, but that's probably just the seefoam speaking. It freaked me out a little before I realized it was probably just the seefoam, so I'm going to do that a few times tonight again, try and burn up the rest of that, and really get that intake manifold clean.[/QUOTE]

16. stockdaddy

stockdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe throw some Seafoam into the fuel tank to help clean the fuel injectors. If its driveable, drive it around for while close to home and see if things get better after u run it for an hour.

17. awommy

awommy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds good. I'll try tonight when I get home from work, and I'll post the results.

18. awommy

awommy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No luck last night. Threw a little bit more seefoam in the intake manifold, dumped the rest into the gas tank.

Only reason the car was running for longer bust be because of the seefoam directly in the manifold, because before I put a little more in there, I got the same reaction I had been having, of the car just shutting down quickly after being turned on.

So, in other words, no progress. Still broken.

19. stockdaddy

stockdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Few other ideas. Replace coils and the PCV valve.

Not sure is this related to 2004-09 prius but this video this guy changed out the relay and it fixed the problem. If you have a mulimeter you can check all fuses, etc for continuity/resistance

20. awommy

awommy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I didn't get around to checking the relays. I did just sell the car, so I will no longer be attempting anything on it.