1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A37 & P0A2B

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Lavalamp, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have these two codes:
    P0A37 - Generator temperature sensor circuit range/performance
    P0A2B - Drive motor "A" temperature sensor circuit range/performance

My other thread explains the symptoms and how they occurred: Transaxle replacement: how to/DIY writeup? | PriusChat

I just ordered a used transaxle but now doing more research it seems P0A37 might be covered under the hybrid warranty, but P0A2B might not. Is this correct?
    I'm trying to decide if I should bring it to toyota or not. It still have 3 months/5k miles left on the hybrid warranty, but I don't want them to diagnose it and tell me it's not covered and then I have to pay the diagnostic fee on top of everything.
    I feel that even if one error is covered they might try and make me pay to fix the other error, or pay for part of a whole new transaxle or something.

The transmission I ordered has 24k miles and was $400 shipped. Should I just use it and try to replace it myself, or cancel the order tomorrow before they ship it and try to have the dealership do the work under warranty. I'm leaning towards just doing it myself because dealing with the dealership and potentially having to pay the diagnostic fee and be in the same boat seems more of a hassle.
    Anyone care to convince me otherwise?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't think the transaxle is part of the hybrid system, but i would put it on hold and try to get an answer from toyota without a diagnostic fee to be sure.

3. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The transaxle is not part of the hybrid system, but I think the "generator" in code P0A37 is the electric motor which would be part of it. I'm also under the impression that the transaxle houses the electric motor and replacing the whole thing should fix both codes.

4. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would say the transaxle is part of the hybrid drive or system. Check the manual .H