1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A75 $07EA Generic Generator Phase W Current

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by KiheiPrii, Mar 25, 2018.

1. KiheiPrii

KiheiPrii Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ive got a 2007 Prius with 112 k miles. I bought the car not running. Diagnosed by a Toyota dealer as needing an inverter/converter and a Hybrid system ECU.

I'm getting the following dash lights, red triangle, traction control, brake, ABS, VSCV, chech engine, and low tire pressure. The only ODBII code I get is "P0A75 $07EA Generic Generator Phase W Current". With a charged pack (charged with a Prolong grid charger) it will go in Ready mode and drive. But the ICE never starts. The 12 VDC battery is fully charged.

I've changed inverters twice, and the inverter water pump. Same results. I've checked all the connections involved in the inverter and looked for physical damage to any wires.

I have not pulled the dash to check the wires there.

Is this a HV ECU issue? If not any ideas?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

what code reader are you using? you may need tech stream.

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What type of OBD2 code reader are you using?

Also, if you paid for a diagnosis from the Toyota dealer they should've supplied you with the retrieved 'codes'.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P0A75 would point to a failed current sensor in the inverter, but your post says you've already tried to replace the inverter twice. Hence I would assume that you have a wiring harness issue between the inverter and the hybrid vehicle ECU.

There are five wires whose continuity you need to verify between those two components. If you access the repair manual and electrical wiring diagram at techinfo.toyota.com then you will see which wires to verify, using an ohmmeter. Hopefully you will find a problem that you can repair.

SFO likes this.
  5. KiheiPrii

KiheiPrii Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been trying to reply to SFO's post but I keep getting a warning that I have a sneaky URL in my response. Nothing looks like a URL to me. Its just text and error codes. What am I doing wrong?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    vermin?

7. KiheiPrii

KiheiPrii Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Trying again. I just found the dealer's diagnosis:

We have a failure code POA75 generator phase w current.

Codes 338, 341 and 516. We have an internal short in the hybrid inverter IPM. The inverter with converter will have to be replaced.

The ECU is the main control unit for the inverter and should be replaced at the same time due to open internal circuit and the special codes that are located in the failure.

So I'm thinking HV ECU

SFO likes this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just reply to this thread. @SFO will see it.

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe the URL is the image you are trying to load. Use the "Upload a File" button at the bottom right of the editor window and up load the image that way.

SFO likes this.
  10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For those sub-codes, the RM mentions the harness and connector as one trouble area. If that checks out ok, it defaults to a problem in the Inverter with converter assembly.
    I don't see where it says the ECU needs replacing.

DTC No. Detection Item DTC Detection Condition Trouble Area Master Warning Light MIL Memory
    1 P0A75-334 Generator Phase W Current Phase W current sub sensor of generator inverter current sensor malfunction - Wire harness or connector; - Inverter with converter assembly Comes on Comes on DTC stored
    2 P0A75-335 Generator Phase W Current Open in phase W current sub sensor circuit of generator inverter current sensor - Wire harness or connector; - Inverter with converter assembly Comes on Comes on DTC stored
    3 P0A75-336 Generator Phase W Current Phase W current main sensor of generator inverter current sensor malfunction - Wire harness or connector; - Inverter with converter assembly Comes on Comes on DTC stored
    4 P0A75-338 Generator Phase W Current Open in phase W current main sensor circuit of generator inverter current sensor - Wire harness or connector; - Inverter with converter assembly Comes on Comes on DTC stored
    5 P0A75-341 Generator Phase W Current Phase W current main and sub sensors of generator inverter current sensor performance problem - Wire harness or connector; - Inverter with converter assembly Comes on Comes on DTC stored
    6 P0A75-516 Generator Phase W Current Phase W current main and sub sensors of generator inverter current sensor offset malfunction - Wire harness or connector; - Inverter with converter assembly Comes on Comes on DTC stored

#10 dolj, Mar 26, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    Prodigyplace likes this.
  11. KiheiPrii

KiheiPrii Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks everyone. I've got it fixed. Here's what I did:

1) Changed inverter before I got a working ODBII code reader, mine had failed. I installed a used inverter. It did not fix the problem.

2) So I got a cheap OBDII code reader and pulled the code that I used as the title for this thread. I contacted the gentleman I bought the inverter from, Ion, and he found a TSB that led him to believe the inverter he sold me may not work on my 2007. So he gave me another inverter. Same result.

3) The original seller of the car had informed me that the dealer told her it needed and an inverter and the controller for the inverter. I/we had decided to try just the inverter first.

4) Then I found the dealer diagnosis buried in a pile of paperwork I had received with the car. I shared the codes with the Ion. He gave me a HV ECU, an Engine ECU and a SKS transponder with a key FOB that was known to work with that transponder.

5) I tried the HV ECU first since I could plug it in by removing the glove box only. This got rid of the red triangle, but the car would not go into ready mode and I couldn't turn the car off. I disconnected the 12 VDC battery.

6) I pulled the dash apart and tried the Engine ECU. Same result.

7) I swapped SKS Transponder and tried the key provided with it. The car started and ran normal. No triangle and no idiot lights (once I aired up one low tire). And since I've just moved to Hawaii and my tools have not arrived yet, I discovered that you can remove the retaining bolt for the transponder with a 10 mm wrench used vertically, just its open end tip, and a pair of pliers to turn it.

So it appears the dealer diagnosis was correct. But it also appears at least some part of the key code is stored in the HV ECU. Not sure if I needed to swap the Engine ECU. Honestly, I'm not certain the original inverter was bad. But the water pump for it does rattle when shaken. (I forgot to check the inverter water pump before I swapped inverters. I just replace the inverter water pump when I swapped out the initial inverter.)

So I'm a happy camper. I've got a nice 2007 Prius with 112 k miles that runs well, at least so far. Everything I've tried works, AC, cruise, windows, door locks etc. I don't have a lot of money in it and I've learned a ton about Prii. And I've found a great local resourcein Ion and priuschat. I'm sure I'm quite dangerous now ;)

FYI, my hybrid odyssey began a number of years ago when my son bought a 2000 (i think that was the year. It was a gen 1 for sure) Honda Insight and the timing chain broke. We had an engine swap done and rebuilt the manual transmission mainly to fix the synchros. What a tiny tranny! Then something chewed the insulation off some wires to the computers under the dash. That was fun.

Next I bought a 2001 Prius with a dead traction battery pack. So I bought a rebuilt pack. The car ran but roughly. It had sat for more than a year in Wisconsin. It was throwing 0300 codes for three of the four cylinders. It sat for several weeks in very cold weather before I had the time to change coils, plug wires and spark plugs. So I bought a Prolong grid charger to save the battery pack until I could fix the ICE. The coils, wires and plugs fixed the car. It continued to throw 0300 codes randomly for a few hundred miles then stopped. The car has run well since, about two years now. Its got 180 k miles on the clock, but no cruise control, how odd. No, I haven't looked for a steering wheel to get cruise. Its now my daughter's daily driver in Wisconsin.

And we've moved to Maui, Hawaii. The last day loading the container was in a blizzard. How appropriate! I bought a 2005 Prius with a ding in the front right, passenger, fender that "ran fine" on Maui before we moved. I picked it up on my trip to Maui right before we moved. The dash went dark as I started it after paying for it. The cruise does not work nor the AC or heat. But it does run and we're on Maui. Who needs heat and open windows cool well enough. GPS gives me speed and a trip odometer for a make shift fuel gauge. I've got a combination meter to swap in while its get repaired by my Maui Prius Guru Ion. Now that the 2007 is running I'll tear into the "05's dash...

I bought this 2007 as a parts car to fix the 2005 with. But when I picked it up it was in way too good shape to part out. So the above odyssey began. So on my container is a front bumper cover, a right side fender, a pair of headlights and a right side mirror for the 2007.

Thanks again everyone!

Maholo,
    David

SFO likes this.
  12. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The cruise control issue could be related to a failing clock spring within the steering wheel, or it did for me once on another vehicle.

Prodigyplace likes this.