1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A80 and P3000

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PriusN00bie, Jun 12, 2023.

1. PriusN00bie

PriusN00bie New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My wife's 2011 Prius started showing the yellow triangle of death this morning. I looked up the error codes with techstream and saw P3000 (in history) and P0A80(current). P0A80 stated over heated battery. I reset the codes this evening. She drove through some deeper standing water the other day as the road she was on was flooded, not sure if related.

Do I need to fix/replace the battery? Anthing else to evaluate before I order a battery or go to the dealership?
    What are the best new batteries (not Toyota)?
    Is it worth checking cells?
    Can my wife continue to drive it below 40m0h? Can she go above that?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    she can drive it as long as it will start, but once you get the codes, you'll have to keep resetting them.
    with tech stream, ifthe battery has a bad cell, you should be able to get the detail

how many miles on her?

best batteries are either new oem or project lithium, depending on price, what is available and your point of view.
    start by cleaning the cooling fan, and checking the connector for corrosion

3. PriusN00bie

PriusN00bie New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So far error codes have not come back, but I understand it likely will, so I'm trying to procure a battery. Project lithium looked sold out. Toyota OEM is likely too costly for me (3880) for the part locally. I can call a dealer for a quote. I've come across the following online battery dealers and not sure which one to trust, any other new batteries? I don't think that I want a reconditioned one.
    NewPriusBatteries
    Exclusivelyhybrid

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    newpriusbatteries are good, but people have had trouble with the seller running the cc charge and not delivering for many minths and no communication. there are several threads here.

haven't heard of the other, or any other actually new batteries. keep calling dealer, 3880 is outrageous. most can find fpr around 2k.

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Wonder if anyone has dealt with Ennocar….

6. PriusN00bie

PriusN00bie New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Traded cars with my wife so that she could have the newer car. So far, error codes haven't returned. My mpg is around 36mpg and I mostly commute around 15 miles (25 minutes) back and forth. I ran the dr. Prius life test on my battery and got 25% life remaining. I've attached some screenshots from it. I was going to order a project lithium battery but not sure if I should now. Thoughts? Should I measure anything else?

Attached Files:

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's a personal choice. if you don''t have the codes, you can keep driving until they come back.
    it's likely to be soon though.
    a new battery should improve your mileage, but there may be other issues causing lower mpg's.