1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A80 and sometimes P3020

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by crazybirdman, Jun 10, 2022.

1. crazybirdman

crazybirdman New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there. Very new member. Have read most conversations about these codes. Here are our particulars:

1) 2005 Prius around 160k miles, original owner.
    2) Triangles, check engine and other lights started popping up a couple of weeks ago.
    3) Non OEM gas cap was hard to take off. Got it off. No codes. Then code popped up. Son-in-law read it with Oxgord MS300 CAN OBDII and said it was gas cap or evap. He erased it before I could get the number. Loosened gas cap and only clicked once when put back on. Car was fine. Drove more than 250 miles.
    4) Then triangle, check engine and others came back. Scanned for codes. P0A80 and P3020 came up. Looked them up. See first says "battery pack state" and second says "HV battery pack 10" or "Battery ECU" or "HV battery assembly"
    5) So, we don't want to get an expensive HV battery if we don't have to. Trying to do a process of elimination of some kind. BTW SHOULD MENTION A FEW weeks ago, our 3.5 year old granddaughter got into the Prius and turned on the interior lights, 2 different times and we didn't realize it. Car was dead. AAA came and jumped it those 2 different times. So, we just checked the 12v battery 2 days ago. The negative terminal and the ground cable were very corroded. Couldn't find correct cable at parts store, so we cleaned it up. Car started, ran for awhile, no lights. Restarted, lights back on.
    6) ALSO FORGOT to say the car is not revving when gas pedal is in park. Afraid to put into drive and take it around the block.
    7) Would really appreciate advice. Could it be 12v? Could it be the battery ECU? Fan? Corrosion? I don't know how to access the HV battery to check. My husband is not very computer literate, so I have been doing all the troubleshooting and information gathering on the internet for the 17 years we have had the Prius.
    8) Our daughter used greenbeanbattery to replace her HV battery in her 2008 Prius 2 years ago. It has worked fine. They do service NY. There website says reconditioned, others say rebuilt. What is the difference? What are your recommendations about Greenbean (I like that they offer lifetime warranty).

PLEASE HELP, IT IS OUR ONLY CAR AT THE MOMENT. THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

Catherine Kourouklis likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It could be the battery, have it load tested at an auto parts store.
    If it’s bad, replace it. If it’s good, check the connections by testing the voltage at the jump point under the hood.
    If that voltage is the same as at the battery,
    It’s all good.
    Then you’ll need to find a mechanic with tech stream diagnostics software or go to a dealer.
    The codes will direct you to the proper repair procedure in service manual .
    It may very well be the hybrid battery block 10.
    Your options then would be new $2-3,000.00 or refurbished $500.-2,000. Or you could replace block 10 and Rebalance the battery.

#2 bisco, Jun 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    crazybirdman likes this.
  3. crazybirdman

crazybirdman New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First, thank you for the reply. So what you are saying is the OBDII that I used doesn't do the same as the Tech Stream? Advance Auto Parts advertises that they do diagnostics for free. I wonder if they use Tech Stream. Do you have any opinion on the different brands/companies for new or refurbished?Thanks again.

bisco likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Where are you located country or state you need to have the 12 volt known to be good I have a car where my 12 volt has been 11.9 volts for the last 3 years and the car runs just fine this is the same car that I just replaced the HV battery in realize your HV battery is over 20 years old so you are past it's useful life and are on borrowed time that is a fact you can play games and fool around and do all kinds of things to extend this pain or you can get yourself a battery and get back on the road if that's what you need to do I played with this for a few minutes and realized very quickly but I wanted to drive my car not play with a bunch of battery modules just for fun there are guys online who will sell you complete racks of batteries for sales balanced it within three Delta in the 599 range and I'm going to tell you my daughter could change the hybrid battery in a Gen 2 Prius. She just doesn't have the gumption to do so because she has somebody who will ride her around everywhere and she's never driven a car in her life but she works on batteries and computers for a living go figure

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Techstream is not absolutely necessary to diagnose your issue which is most likely a failed hybrid battery. There are scanners that are Prius literate. Whether your local auto parts store uses one or not is anybody's guess. Techstream is vastly more powerful though and is essential or nearly so for brake jobs, calibrating seat sensors, stuff like that. But a good bluetooth OBD II scanner with a phone app like OBD Fusion, Carista, Car Scanner, Torque, Dr. Prius, etc. will tell you what you need to know. Your battery is not actually over 20 years old, but it is over 17 years and that's gettin' up there.

A lot of people sweat by Greenbean battery. Roughly an equal number of people swear at them. If I planned to keep the car and wanted it to be reliable, I would either get a new battery or a near new one from a totaled Prius. The Gen 3 battery modules will work fine in your Gen 2. It's just a little time consuming to transplant them. But any hybrid shop worth their salt will have used and rebalanced hybrid batteries that they can install for you. If you like diy, it's doable with some help from YouTube. Not many tools needed, but you will need a torque wrench that measures inch/pounds.

But the 1st order of business is to get an accurate reading of the trouble codes.

Catherine Kourouklis likes this.
  6. crazybirdman

crazybirdman New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used the self diagnosis on the display. 11.6 volts, then hit acc and went down 11.2

7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's rather low, but it should not cause any problems. Using the self test on the display is far from ideal, though. The resting voltage with the car turned off is likely a little higher than that. I've never heard of a low 12V causing a P0A80. It's good to start troubleshooting from a known good 12V because, if it's low enough, it can generate confusing trouble codes, but even 11V won't be low enough for that and you'll get other codes and symptoms before the P0A80 if the 12V is very low.

douglasjre and crazybirdman like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    auto zone (and maybe advanced auto) can load test it for you free.
    at that voltage, i would replace it, but it may not be absolutely necessary, depending on load test results.
    they should also be able to read the codes for a bad hybrid battery at the very least.
    as far as replacements go, new oem will give you another 10-20 years.
    you can get them at any dealer, but they are competitively priced, so it's worth calling as many dealers as possible.
    new modules are available for $1,600. from 'newpriusbatteries.com', but you have to install them yourself, or find a shoppe that will do it.

refurbished are always iffy, because they are made up of old battery cells that have been brought back to life to some extent, but to what extent depends on the quality of the work, which is an unknown.
    the most important thing with a refurbishing company is that they have a physical address, even if they will come to you. the warranty they offer, and the strength and longevity of the company to back it up.

crazybirdman likes this.
  9. crazybirdman

crazybirdman New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am checking on the physical address thing today. And I am calling around to Toyota for new price. And is NEWPriusbattery a chinese knockoff? I read strange things about them. BTW, I replaced the battery with 84 month OEM from Toyota with a coupon discount. Code disappeared, but later came back. Also checked if the HV battery fan was filthy. It wasn't.

douglasjre and bisco like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    new prius batteries is owned by a member here. the cells are made in china, but i wouldn't use the term knock off. they are very high quality cells, made in a strict manufacturing environment to the owners specifications.
    most users here have been quite pleased, and the owner interacts with them here. he has been a prius owner for many years before deciding to manufacture his own battery cells.
    i don't have personal experience, and haven't searched the web for reviews.

jerrymildred and crazybirdman like this.
  11. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    This is an example of the trouble codes you will get when the 12 volt battery is low. Other possibilities exist as well. Using old-fashioned load tester not the new high-tech ones that check internal resistance of the 12-volt battery. PXL_20220618_204107027.jpg PXL_20220618_201243209.jpg PXL_20220618_204107027.jpg PXL_20220618_201243209.jpg

bisco likes this.