1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A80 code twice in 10 days/200 mi

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Typingmonkey, Feb 24, 2022.

1. Typingmonkey

Typingmonkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi there,

I got the P0A80 code and "Check Hybrid System" about 10 days/200 miles ago (along with C1259, C1310 showing up on Techstream). I cleared the codes and then yesterday the P0A80 code and CHS warning came back. No other codes present according to Dr. Prius. There are now 172,000 miles on the car. It's new to me.

Are there any diagnostic/troubleshooting steps I should take before replacing the battery?

Is it worth buying the Dr. Prius battery tests? Will they give me any useful information at this point?

I have seen in some threads that sometimes the battery fan is dirty which causes overheating. I have looked at the fan and from the outside it appears pretty clean, and I don't hear it working too hard. Also it is pretty cold this outside this week so overheating seems unlikely.

The 12V battery appears to have been replaced in the last couple months.

Thanks!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For $10 or so, yeah.

Oh hang on, you've got it, but partially locked? Are you able to do the bar graph display of the blocks?

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not before but definitely after, is to clean the entire egr circuit. It will take half a day to do that not including an occ addition because Saving gas cost a lot of money.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you are going to diy, it's always worthwhile to remove the battery and inspect everything for corrosion, and clean the cooling fan before replacing anything

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Certainly seeing the voltages of individual modules is necessary if you are going full diy "whack a mole" used module replacement. After the third or fourth "repair" in the first year you will be quite good at it.

The most important thing to know is various suppliers sell "reconditioned", "refurbished", repainted or just plain used battery assemblies. There is no way to actually recondition or refurbish twelve year old batteries. Dorman is used but repainted. At least sellers selling batteries described as used are not blowing smoke at you. Even with guarantees (most of which are not honored well), all of these options will cost you anywhere from 50% to 100% of new battery modules.

So new modules from Toyota, third party new Toyota resellers, newpriusbatteries.com or projectlithium.com are the best bet. New will give you eight to twelve years of service. Used might last a year.

Also understand the other big money issues on these models. Head gasket fails and Brake Booster failures can ruin your faith in humanity especially if you discover a coolant sealer was used or brake booster codes were cleared. Be sure those killers are not lurking in your new purchase.

#5 rjparker, Feb 24, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2022