1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A80. Driven a couple of times and now have HV fan on constantly and limp mode (?)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ProspectivePriusPeruser, Dec 19, 2019.

1. ProspectivePriusPeruser

ProspectivePriusPeruser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey all

As the title says. Got a P0A80 not too long ago and have stopped dailying the car until it can be fixed (January) I've driven a few times since, all within very close range of my house. Last time I did I started accelerating uphill to 70kmh, and I didn't make it there at all. The car felt like it does when a manual car has its clutch badly slipping. I put hazards on, and eventually made it home, the car realllly struggled uphill. When I pulled up I noticed the HV fan was going loudly.

I left the car parked for a few hours, went and started it and immediately the fan came on again. It wasn't a stupidly hot day but pretty warm. Have I likely damaged anything other than the already damaged battery & is it likely to be able to drive a few km to the place I'm booked in at to be fixed, or should I be looking into towing services?

Cheers

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pretty normal symptoms for a HV battery that has a failed module or two. Many times the codes can be reset and the car will drive semi-normal for a little while, especially if you baby it. As time rolls by, it will code out more and more frequently. I've also met many people who have done it many, many times while putting off the repair job. There's no significant difference in battery damage.

I've reset a P0A80 and done short drives several times while evaluating a car.

3. ProspectivePriusPeruser

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh awesome, though I only plan on driving it to get it fixed now. Was just concerned since the limp mode and fan hasn't happened before this, and my battery issues slowly started appearing 3-4 weeks ago with codes appearing 2 weeks ago. Cheers!

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've experimented/gathered data from really bad packs in my car and having a bad module can be confounding... I can plug in the OBD2 reader and turn on Dr. Prius app and take screenshots and clear the red triangle as many as 5 times in one day and it only takes less than a minute for everything to be back to normal and then inexplicably that bad module will work great with no red triangle for as long as two weeks.

Main thing when it comes to module failure is that the car will protect itself sooner than later and if you clear error code/tell it to forget problem, car can go for a while longer.

Of course I'd only recommend doing that if you have multiple packs available and you're working on a pack in this way for the sole purpose of data gathering, rather than trying to ignore the problem because if you aren't fully prepared for all the repair work requires things can go from bad to worse real quick.

5. ProspectivePriusPeruser

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    These cars are so strange. Can the codes be cleared by disconnecting the 12v? I ordered a mini VCI cable a while ago but shipping has been delayed, and no bluetooth OBD2 scanners I've tried have played nice with the car. I would only be doing this on the day I plan on getting the battery replaced, and only doing it so I can make it to the speed limit, definitely not the type of person to just keep hiding the issue, I worry far too much to do that.

6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes... You can disconnect the 12v and give your car amnesia and see how long it takes to notice again , but to do so without knowing what the actual error codes and subcodes are is about smart as trying to drive while keeping your eyes closed as much as possible.

And as I've said before, some error codes are a relatively minor easy fixes, like corrosion or clogged fan related problems... And while you're waiting on your mini-VCI, you might want to double down on your odds and buy an OBD2 reader so you can use Dr. Prius App on your phone to get codes, because in the long run it's much less work getting them seconds after they popup that way. Learn more about buying them here: Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

fiberoptx and SFO like this.
  7. fiberoptx

fiberoptx New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone reading this for a fix, regarding this last post, dr Prius will only give you limited readings of codes. You can not get any ABS codes from DR Prius. Primarily battery codes....it says 'engine' codes...I haven't narrowed down what that includes...as I use tech stream. However, I use Dr P for live battery monitoring. Just an FYI, Dr Prius is not an all inclusive OBD2 scanner.

8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dr. Prius app is perfect for when you're driving down the road and warning lights come on and you grab your OBD2 reader out of the glove box and plug it and read what codes are available and then take some screen shots and clear the codes.

The maker of the app wisely decided to limit his app abilities so as not to be a Toyota Techstream hijacking... There's plenty of other online folks who will help you with that.

JohnPrius3005 likes this.