1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A80 indicated with pocket scan! Hellpppp :(

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rob2016, Jan 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. rob2016

rob2016 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am so traumatized by this, as I have read in the forums here that this most likely indicates that the expensive traction battery needs to be replaced. Before I bring it in, I wanted to see if my situation may be unique and something else could possibly be pinpointed.

Car: 2006 Toyota Prius 79,000 miles, 2nd owner

Situation: I did not start the car for about a month as I was out of town. The first day back using the car the issue started. First, the car started kind of funky like it was having trouble clicking the engine on. I assumed it was just because it had been so long since it had started. It seemed to begin to run fine as usual but then after about 3-4 miles of driving 3 lights came on! The yellow check engine light, the exclamation point within parenthesis within a circle( (!) ), and the large red triangle with an exclamation point(as well as "problem" showing on display screen).

The car seemed to run fine, but I have since brought it home and not been driving it. I used a friends OBD II Pocket Scanner to reveal the following 2 codes: P0A80, P0A80 pd(pd is in small font which the manual says means it is "pending", also says that "pending codes occurs when the code has not occurred a specific number of times, causing the code to mature"),

Pocket Scanner also shows: MIL ON(indicates the Malfunction Indicator Lamp on vehicle should be ON indicating a possible emissions problem). I guess/assume this just means that lights described above are showing(which they are)?
    Inspection Maintenance Monitors: This is for the emissions system and am not sure if it is needed to be discussed here?

I am located in Honolulu and the only service dealer here does not have an appointment available for another month! What should I do?! Thanks in advance for the help!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! best to get the mini vci off ebay, and install it on an old laptop. it will give you all the correct codes and trouble shooting tree. then you can subscribe to toyotatechinfo for $15./day and figure out how to repair it.

you may want to test your 12 volt first, to make sure it's healthy. all the best!(y)

3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sitting for so long can be hard on an old High Voltage battery.

In addition to bisco's advice here is a "hail Mary" attempt you could try.

Unhook the 12v battery for 30 seconds.
    Reconnect.
    Start it up again and let it run and see if the code returns.

Repeat this 2 times.

Not a great way to do things, but it won't harm things either.

If it was a transient issue, perhaps some brief running will get things back on track.

Unlikely, but worth a try.

#3 ericbecky, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If the code comes back and you got a month, you might as well try to call Toyota HQ and ask for warranty assistance. We can help further if you need to try this approach. Before you call Toyota the dealer needs to at least confirm the error code for you. So hopefully they might at least do that step promptly or certify a another shop to do it.

5. rob2016

rob2016 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you

6. rob2016

rob2016 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you. Can you recommend a site or forum post that walks through this?

7. rob2016

rob2016 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks. So even though I got the code from my OBD II I need to pay Toyota dealers to get the same code and verify it ?

8. rob2016

rob2016 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II

I would like to spend as little as possible if possible.

9. rob2016

rob2016 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for the advice.

Is this the right mini VC?: mini vci | eBay

Also when you say install it on an "old laptop" what do you mean? What ports or programs do you need?

Also, how do I test the 12-volt? Can you refer me to a good site or forum post?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm no expert, but there are threads here on mini vci specs. the reason for an old laptop is that the software may contain virus. you don't want to be on the net with it.

to test the 12 volt, get a digital volt meter. pop the hood and let the car sit for a few hours. test the voltage at the jump point in the fuse box, before turning the car on or opening any doors.

11. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    I've always thought the "old laptop" bit was because the driver development stopped around 2010 and was only 32-bit supported at the time. Any 32-bit WinOS seems to work, or you can use it under a WinXP VM under Win7-64. There are also instructions available for installation on 64 bit, but it's involved.

He just walked you through it. It's literally that simple. Disconnect, reconnect, start and run, see if it returns. Repeat two more times.

Each of these disconnects deletes the car's DTC codes and information on the battery's state of charge. It clears codes and attempts to force-charge the battery after a 12V reset.

As is almost always the case, you have 1-2 failed modules causing low/high block voltage response.

You likely have 3 choices (approximate prices):
    1) new battery from Toyota ($3,000)
    2) refurb/salvage battery ($600-1800)
    3) Lots of labor involved in diagnosing and replacing failed module ($200 + HOURS of labor)

As has been mentioned, make sure your 12V is healthy. LOAD test at an auto parts store is the only 100% confirmation.

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes in order for Toyota USA to consider your case for possible discount, Toyota dealer needs to have proclaimed HV batt failure, and also verify you are out of warranty. We here do not know orig purchase date, you could conceivably be within 10-yr and 150k miles (which is CARB rule) and although HI is not CARB we are not privy to Toyota internal policy exceptions if any.

In this case due to backlog at the dealer, you might be able to do some of this over the phone, or maybe they could at least read the codes or assign you to Toyota certified outside shop to do so (I do not know if the certified outside shops exist but I know some people on here say such shops exist in NoVA but I am not sure if they are correct about it).

#12 wjtracy, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  13. rob2016

rob2016 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II

OMG this worked!!! For a second :(

So unhooked the positive terminal of the 12v for a minute. The car seemed to run fine after for about 20 minutes, I drove around the block and parked for a bit and everything seemed great. Then as soon as I got home and put the car back into park, all three lights came back on! :(..

One thing I did notice was that the car seemed to be running significantly better when it was going. Previously, the car shuttered a bit when it had to kick on the gas motor, also the AC seemed to working WAY better.

Do you have any thoughts on this?? Should I try again?

14. rob2016

rob2016 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did not do load test, just "Hail Mary" attempt by cycling the power of the 12-volt.

15. rob2016

rob2016 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    how do you perform a load test?

16. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    rob2016

If you can't drive the car to a parts store, or don't have any tools you can try this half-baked way of checking it at home.

Without foot on brake, press power button twice.
    Turn on interior lights, turn on headlights, turn on a/c fan, press brake pedal.

Does the screen flicker, lights dim, or fans slow down significantly in a short time?

If so, that is an indication of a weak 12v battery.

Another way to test at home without any tools is to do the "turn headlights on/off 3 times" trick.
    Here's a good thread that explains the process.
    Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat
    DO-IT-YOURSELF TEST PROCEDURE (thanks to jdenenberg):
    - Without brake pedal, press the Power button once and release to enter ACC mode
    - Press and hold the MFD Info button, then turn the headlights on and off three times to enter Maintenance mode; release Info button
    - Press “Menu” (on screen)
    - Press “Display Check”
    - Press “Vehicle Signal Check” - the battery voltage is shown and should be about 12.4 to 12.8 Volts (normal for an unloaded battery)
    - Again without brake pedal, press Power button and release to put a current load on the battery - the voltage should stay above 12.0V (if less than 12.0V the battery is not well, or there is a fault or unusual load somewhere)
    - Press brake pedal and press Power button once to enter "Ready" mode - the battery is now charging at about 14V (if less than 13.6V or more than 14.4 there may be a problem with the charging circuit)
    - Turn car OFF to leave Maintenance mode

None of these replace a real load test, but are generally useful indications of health when you have no diagnostic tools at hand

#16 ericbecky, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    Dino33ca likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A Solar BA5 tester is a prosumer level 12 volt CCA tester, about $40~50.

My 2 cents;

Get the car assessed by a Toyota dealership, get all the info you can, re the hybrid battery condition, if they can go to bat for you. Email Toyota yourself if it comes to that.

It seems pretty common that Toyota will come through with 50/50 deals.

18. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Takes a short time to test the 12v.
    No reason not to start there and rule it out.

19. rob2016

rob2016 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    t
    Thanks for your help. I used the "turn headlights on/off 3 times" trick and found the battery to at 12.4, then 11.9 when Power button was pressed a second time, then 14.2 when in "Ready" mode.

When it showed 11.9, the post says it is supposed to be above 12.0 and if not there is something wrong with the 12v. However, 11.9 is really close to 12.0 and all the other volt measurements seem ok. Does this sound right? is the 12v ok or not?

20. rob2016

rob2016 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also, the car seemed to be running ok but I haven't really been driving it until today when I went to the grocery store(3 mile round trip). On my way back, a fan( I think) on the door of the passenger side back seat started making noise. At first I thought it was the ac, then I turned it off and still noticed the sound. Any idea what this is?

Also, less than 1/8 of a mile before I got home the car significantly slowed down and did not seem to want to go past 20 mph. I also noticed when in park it constantly shifts between electric and motor.....

I am bringing the car in to the dealer soon(appointment not til Feb.21st but going to bring it in to be on stand by), but would like to drive it if possible instead of paying to have it towed. Any thoughts here?! Thanks!