1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Stomper88

Stomper88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2005 prius, 74k miles.

I received the dreaded P0a80 code on Thu last week. It wasnt a total surprise as I noticed all the warning signs startup a month ago. So, I reset the ECU (erased the codes) and kept driving while monitoring the battery block voltages (using elm327 and an android tablet). Voltages looked fine but all the blocks would charge up and down much faster than they used to. The code popped up a few more times over the weekend, and I just erased them to keep driving. By the way, erasing the codes seems to put the car back into normal operation mode where it uses the battery properly vs reving the engine like crazy.

Yesterday, while accelerating to get onto the highway there was a clunking sound and I noticed block 12 was around 14 volts while the other blocks were around 18 volts. The prius decided at that point to stop using the battery entirely and become an ICE only vehicle with the transmission locked in whatever gear ratio it was in at the moment. Luckily, I was able to pull over, reset the ecu, and get home. After the reset, the prius resumed using the battery and transmission shifts normally.

Here is a screenshot of my bad block 12. Its not so bad in this screenshot, but when the prius shut down, it was almost 4 volts lower than the rest. It also charges much faster than the others, which indicates very low capacity.
    [​IMG]

My options:
    1. delaership ($4,000),
    2. buy new battery on trademotion ($2300) - self install
    3. bandaid battery (remanufactured) locally (green tec auto) $800 (6 month warranty) or $1350 (18 month) - self install
    4. salvage yard locally ($925) - self install - donor=2006 prius, 160k miles

Am I missing any options? Anyone tried Green Tec Auto yet?

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, your missing buying a reman battery from Dorman from an auto parts store (about $1700) and doing a self install (3 yr warranty).
    Or, Hybrid Battery Experts for $899 with a DIY install (Home)

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can try replacing the bad modules too......warranty no longer valid?

4. Stomper88

Stomper88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

It's 10 years old, so the warranty expired due to age. The warranty is 8 years/100k miles.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

you can try to contact Toyota HQ and ask for a Goodwill Warranty to cover your battery. Explain to them this car has very low mileage and you are just outside the warranty coverage in years. Recently many members have tried this route and have gotten 50%-100% coverage on their batteries, they just pay for the labor in the dealer installation. It seems that Toyota is able to assist more often when the service manager from a dealership makes the call for you in requesting the Goodwill Warranty.

6. Stomper88

Stomper88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

I tried calling the Toyota HQ myself and was denied. Is it possible to engage a service manager without bringing my car to the dealership and paying a "diagnostic fee"?

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

If I were in your position, a 2005 with only 74k miles, I would pay the dealer the diagnostic fee and have the dealership make the request for you. You would still have to go through the dealer for the installation.....it's a good place to start, diagnostic should be around $100. Well worth it if they will cover the battery.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here's a thread with someone in your position. Tried calling and was denied, then went through dealer route, got 50% coverage.

HV Battery Failing | PriusChat

9. Stomper88

Stomper88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Im wondering if anyone has ordered the battery from trademotion (or any new toyota battery) and installed it? Does it have the ECU and shell already installed, so that its just a replacement operation? Or would I need to swap the ECU and shell from the old battery?

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You would need to swap the traction battery ECU and the system main relays from the old into the new battery. The new battery includes the modules, busbars, and the sheet steel case.

11. Stomper88

Stomper88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

Thanks. How difficult is that? I cant seem to find any instructions or mention of the procedure online.

12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't believe this is particularly difficult but there are safety issues associated with the presence of high voltage/high current DC. Subscribe to techinfo.toyota.com to obtain Toyota repair manual info.

13. Stomper88

Stomper88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

I forgot I had the repair manual from a previous repair. So, upon reviewing it, I can see several components attached to the battery. Do you know if the new battery is missing only the ecu assembly or is it missing all the other parts around the ECU (the upper battery carrier, service plug port, ECU, etc)?

If its just the ECU, then it shouldnt be too dangerous to swap that box. It looks like 3 screws and it lifts up and out. If its all the other components, then I agree the risk goes up since the service plug is involved and therefore cannot protect you during the operation.

14. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    All the big orange cables you have to disconnect to swap in a new battery are 0 volts with the service connector out. The big multi wire plug that goes into the battery ecu is probably the most dangerous plug. It will have over 100volts between certain pins even with the service plug out.

15. Stomper88

Stomper88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The dealership was no help. The service manager hinted that Toyota was not willing to help because I never take my car in for service (I do all of the maintenance on my own cars). Apparently, thats how they measure customer loyalty.

16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

This was done over the phone or they did a diagnostic on the car?

17. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, that doesn't surprise me. If your dealer's service dept hasn't made money off you then why exert any effort on your behalf. However it sounds like you do have the ability and interest to DIY this particular repair.

I would be in the same boat as you.

18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't really think being a long time loyal customer is the criteria. It mainly has to be requested by the dealer service department. Bringing your car in for the initial diagnostics is important, dealer makes the money and makes more money if Toyota approves the replacement, which you pay labor charges on.

SM-N900P ?

19. Stomper88

Stomper88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

I brought the car into the dealer. After waiting an hour for them to diagnose the issue and call Toyota, they reported the results from Toyota to me. The service manager said "Toyota is declining to help. Maybe if you had brought your car in for service a few times, they would be more interested."

I really like my Prius, but I only drive it about 2-3k miles a year now. So I'm not sure if I should keep it since the NiMH batteries dont seem to like sitting around in my garage unused. I'm considering installing a re-manufactured battery and trading it for a Nissan Leaf. 100% gas free is attracting my attention.

20. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Sorry to hear that they didn't cover the battery. The comment the service manager made seems to make me think he actually has made that decision for you and not really sure he called it in.

If you would like to try one more time and do it yourself. Advise Toyota you had brought your car into the dealership for service and you were told it needed a new traction battery. Let them know the car has very few miles and your expectations of Toyota is to be more reliable than what you're experiencing. Also the car is just outside the warranty period, you would like to have them consider providing a Goodwill Warranty for the battery.

This time should work better as you've already done the process of letting a dealer look at the car and have it properly diagnosed.

Leave out the part that the service manager has made a request for this warranty for you.........