1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A93 code

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tony714, Dec 18, 2023.

1. Tony714

Tony714 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hey Prius Peeps I need some help here. I have a 2008 Prius with about 200k on the clock and I got a code yesterday, P0A93 and my cheap code reader tells me that it’s the inverter cooling pump.

First I need a reliable repair shop in Orange County, CA, and I need some folks that have had this happen to give me some price quotes.

More info, I was driving, the code came on and I immediately stopped. I sat for about 40 mins and when I turned it back on to limp home the red triangle of death was still on.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Check out the hybrid pit. Install seems to run around $650.

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You can still drive the vehicle at lower speeds and cooler temps. This is a fairly easy and common repair; just make sure the new pump is genuine OEM as counterfeits are now a thing.

You might consider replacing the thermos bottle coolant control valve as it eventually goes out too, is close by, and cheap.

GOOD LUCK!

4. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the OP is willing to do the work and has some common car repair tools and a place to do the work then buying an OEM pump from a local dealer (shop around, price can vary) is a great way to save around $500. There is a very long thread somewhere on this forum where people describe all the approaches they used.

As others have said, it is possible to drive around with the inverter pump out when it is reasonably cold out. However, it will likely still throw that code if you try to drive at typical SoCal highway speeds. It might be necessary to actively clear the code to get the red triangle to go away, and that should be done because while it is lit you are blind to any other failure which might occur.