1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A93 error? Or, just electrical glitch?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ParryB, May 14, 2017.

1. ParryB

ParryB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The first time I had a check engine light come on was 5 days back. It stayed On for a little while and went away.

I was due for an Oil Change so got it done at Firestone (I don't have a garage at my apartments.. I do it myself when I go back to parents). I got that done and then drove the car for next two days without any hiccup.

I was driving to the mountains and Midway this check engine sign comes in again but with the VSC sign and the exclamation sign and the red triangle. I make it to the nearest Advance Auto and parked my car there. The guy there turned the car off and then on again. This time it only had the red triangle and check engine light. He ran the OBD on it and got the code P0A93.

I took it to the nearest Meineke and had them take a look at it. He got the same code but he advised that I check for the recall on it with Toyota. So, I plan to head out there. The sign was gone again. I asked them if they cleared it. They said No. But I took it to the nearest Toyota and I was told the earliest appointment I can get is a week from then.

So, I just left and drove without any problems for the next day since the sign was gone and wouldn't come on.

Now, I am heading back to home from the mountains ...again Midway I get that sign on. So, I take it to the nearest Advance again... He checks for it with the same code. Turns off the car and turns it on again and ...no sign on.

So, I hit the road again and again the sign comes on after a little while. This time I just figured to keep on driving. But, this time the car reboots while running. It did so at least 20 times on my way home.

I park the car at my apartment and then I reboot it like 4-5 times continuously and the sign is gone again.

I know that my 12v battery is overdue by like a year or so. I don't know if it is the inverter Cooling pump, the battery or some wiring?

I am planning to get it checked tomorrow but I don't wanna be conned by the dealership for something that never needed a fix.

The recall on the pump was performed in 2011.
    I have ordered an optima yellow top already so I'll be working on that.

And, it's a 2007 Prius Touring base with 155k on it or so.

Please advise what the issue could be and the solutions.

Sorry for a long post.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Put the car in IG-ON mode (push power button twice, foot off brake), open inverter reservoir, shine flashlight into it. Do you see the coolant moving? You should also hear the pump humming like an aquarium pump (behind the left headlight).

m.wynn likes this.
  3. ParryB

ParryB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't see the coolant moving.

I don't know if I could hear the humming either. Then again, I don't have the best of hearing.

And, this is what comes on when I hit the power button twice: 1494811828949.jpeg

Is that pink fluid supposed to gargle or anything? because, it just stayed still.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You should see some turbulence in the inverter coolant reservoir when the Prius is either IG-ON or READY. If you don't see this then the inverter coolant pump needs to be replaced. You should minimize your driving as each time the fault code is logged, that is indicative that the inverter has overheated sufficiently to cause the warning to appear.

If you wish to DIY replace the pump at your parents' house, see my thread here:
    How to Replace the Inverter Coolant Pump | PriusChat

m.wynn likes this.
  5. ParryB

ParryB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is that a job I can DIY? Would it require any flushing or so?

And, how much is one of them pumps anyways?

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  7. ParryB

ParryB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I'm gonna take it to the dealership. It's giving me all of these following codes now:

C1300, C1242, C1241, P0A93.