1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A93 on 2008 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MichaelB126, Sep 26, 2023.

1. MichaelB126

MichaelB126 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys,
    I'm in AZ. I used the Dr Prius app and OBDII adapter and got the P0A93 water pump code. I ordered and replaced with a new Dorman pump (1st) from amazon. I used hose pinch pliers to minimize coolant loss. Burped and bled the valve, added coolant, I visually verified the pump was moving coolant. 10 days later same issue P0A93. I visually verified the pump was not moving coolant. I reordered and re replaced with same model new Dorman (2nd) pump, burped bled added coolant verified coolant moving. In hindsight I should have blown out the pump with air compressor and tested with 12v source. I did not. Same issues about 2 weeks later. I also reset the code in Dr Prius and disconnected the 12 v battery for both pumps. I can hear a pulsing noise coming from the pump, not sounding like this whish or whir that an electric pump should make.

Getting ready to put in the 3rd new pump tomorrow.
    3rd pump came from the east coast, so maybe a different batch?
    Additional info, 7 months ago I installed a new hybrid battery and new 12v battery, And the car has the dashboard capacitor malfunction, sometimes the dash lights do not work, unless the car is cold, then must press unlock on key fob while simultaneously on and off with headlights until the door open icon appears on dash

I also added a pic of the inverter cooling fins. Thoughts on these getting clogged and the pump over heating?
    I'm thinking a bad couple pumps? 2 new pumps fail in a short time seems unusual.
    Is there a component that controls the inverter pump on/off?
    Any thoughts on what I could be missing?
    Im open to your thoughts.

Thanks in advance,
    Michael

Attached Files:

bisco likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    what you need is just a new pump from Toyota and not Dorman

Brian1954 and mr_guy_mann like this.
  3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    x2 to JC91006

I hate wasting my time with crap aftermarket parts. I use OE pumps from the dealer, and haven't had any problems.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is actually too bad that the Dorman pumps are so unreliable, because when they do work they pump really well. But this is one of these situations where "always works" is a much better alternative to "works better, except when it doesn't work at all".

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome, all the best!