1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tags:
  1. Gen 2 Craiggers

Gen 2 Craiggers New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello all,
    I have a 2005 Prius with 261,000 miles on it and recently while driving on a hot California day, I got the dreaded Triangle of Death. When I got home, I plugged in my OBD scanner and it gave me the P0A93 - Inverter A - cooling system performance, Status confirmed message.
    Unfortunately I cleared the message out before taking it to a local mechanic. They informed me that I cleared out the history and that to get a true evaluation using their scanner, I would need to drive it around for a bit and bring it in once the message is displayed again. It's been nearly a week and about 300+ miles later with similar weather and the warning has not come back. I checked the turbulence in the inverter's coolant reservoir and while they're aren't any white caps in there, there definitely is some movement/turbulence.
    I want to know what my best path forward is. The dealer wants over $300 just to diagnose it.
    I'm prepared to replace the inverter water pump if necessary, but I want to be sure that's the best thing to do now. It was last replaced when the recall was issued about ten years ago.
    I appreciate your input on this.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They last about 100k miles, if it’s been over that mileage, it would be wise to just change it as a maintenance item.

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would replace the pump with a Toyota part, flush the inverter cooling system while you're there (be surd to bleed the system- can take 5 minutes or more).

Do both radiators fans turn on when the A /C is running?

Also check the lower radiator area. Leaves, dirt, debris, etc can restrict airflow through the bottom 1/3 of the radiator (that's the part that cools the inverter). Sometimes a careful "pressure backwash" with a garden hose can clean out the fins of the radiator and condenser.

Missing spoilers and under shields can also cause problems. Corroded or missing fins in the heat exchangers can lead to high temperatures.

Ideally, you would have some type of capable scantool that you could use to monitor inverter temps.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.