1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0AA6 -> 526-612

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by chernie, Jan 16, 2021.

1. chernie

chernie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone :)

I have a Prius 08, 124 k miles. New to me :) I'll give some context for my questions, which are at the bottom in bold.

One day, I got the red triangle and the 5 lights to the right of it. Nothing useful from the screen. Did not go into Drive or Reverse.

I had it towed to Toyota. They got the P0AA6 code with 526 and 612 codes. They said "system isolation fault" was the problem technically, and I was told "there's corrosion" all in the battery pack. They said the solution was a new HV battery.

I had it towed back to my house because I couldn't afford a $3k repair right there and knew I should shop around. When the tow truck driver returned it he said it would drive. I assumed this was because they had cleared the codes at the shop. So I drove it into my parking spot and noticed the battery (on the display) was purple. That was 2 weeks ago.

I decided I would just wait to get a new battery, maybe 30-45 days. Can't afford it just this minute. Yesterday I turned the engine on so it could breathe a bit and, per the display, the HV battery charged from the engine being on.

I'm trying to save money to get this thing fixed. I forsaw this being a cost when I bought the car, but my Car Emergency Savings has taken a hit so I'm trying to save up for it.

Extra details: it had one single previous owner and the inverter pump was replaced at 78k

My questions:

1. Can the car be driven? I know it'll run and it'll move. I want to take it within 2 miles - no further. Just so I can get weekly grocery shopping done with some ease. I don't want to worsen the problem. I've read many threads on this topic... some people get by weeks after those codes, others warn that it could explode at any moment. I will start to scoot around the parking lot so the tires and 12v don't become a whole other problem.

2. Should I get a 2nd opinion? I'm ready to bite this cost, but I realize I may need a 2nd opinion. I don't think they would lie about the codes that popped up, though. I live in the South, where hybrid mechanics are a bit difficult to find. If anyone knows anyone in Anderson/Greenville, please do tell. Most folks want $3k. Greenbean will take 1.5k and come to my home.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Your best option would be @TMR-JWAP , and he is nearly around the corner from you. You can't find better, and he will treat you right.

FYI: you're moderated until five (5) posts. There is also a known (ongoing issue) with the private message feature here.

chernie likes this.
  3. chernie

chernie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you!!!

SFO likes this.
  4. chernie

chernie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, update: I've avoided driving the car even though it would go into drive but today I had an errand to run about 2 miles away that was urgent and time sensitive so I drove it. I live in the Upstate and it's very hilly and the car drove me there fine. I'm still learning about how the hybrid system/transmission (or "not transmission"?) works so I was afraid for the hills/power exertion but I got there and back fine.

I suppose once a week I'll take it to the grocery about a mile away and maybe get a reader so I can clear it if needed until I can get the battery fixed.

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @chernie,

I can help you. really, really help you.

To start, the P0AA6 code will allow you to drive the car normally, until you turn it off. Then, once you start the car again, it will NOT allow you to drive. You can get around this by either resetting the code, or disconnecting the 12v battery for a minute or to before starting the car. Disconnecting the 12v battery resets all the car computers, including clearing most codes. The car will then allow you to drive again. Sometimes it may be days before it codes again, sometimes it may be seconds. Rinse and repeat as needed each time you need to drive. Just remember, it's only going to get worse, up until the point it instantly codes out and wont let you drive.

And yes, I can build you an absolutely rock solid HV battery for much less than what you mentioned in your post. Along with helping to solve any other issues you may have with the car.

chernie likes this.
  6. chernie

chernie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So you're saying this can't be predicted - it won't throw the code till it does, and I can't predict that or drive any type of way to prevent that from happening. I guess I should mentally prepare to disconnect the battery at the drop of a hat.

I would love to learn about the services you could provide! Could you message me or should I message you?

7. chernie

chernie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @TMR-JWAP because I'm new and don't have enough posts, everything takes forever to get moderated but I am VERY interested

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    chernie, click on my user name underneath the boxer's face photo.

chernie and SFO like this.