1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0AA6 code on 2007 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tommymommy, May 6, 2018.

1. tommymommy

tommymommy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Car suddenly threw codes about 5 blocks from my house yesterday, at 215k miles. Drove it 115 miles, in the rain, the day before with no issues outside of a couple of weird slowing/coasting moments while on the freeway. (Similar to what one would experience before a regular transmission goes out on a non-hybrid.) Did not see any additional codes or sub codes. Cleared it and drove it back home. I suspect transaxle, but will need to do more sleuthing. Bought it used at 30k miles. I've replaced transaxle fluid w/ Toyota WS, twice, in the time I've owned it. First time around 80k miles. Last time was around 160k miles. Fluid was clear with little accumulated filings on the plug magnet. Traction battery was replaced last summer with a rebuilt Dorman. Mileage has been good at 46-47 mpg, now that we are back on summer fuel stock. Winter grade runs around 43-44mpg.

If it is the transaxle, it is work I am unable to complete myself. Does anyone know a reputable repair shop in the Waco/ Austin TX areas?

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    P0AA6 has sub-codes. Find someone with a reader that can pull them. This will point you to area with the problem.

It still could be the HV battery. In addition to the transaxle, it also could be the inverter or A/C compressor.

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. tommymommy

tommymommy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you. I have a code reader, but my computer screen was dim and I didn't see the snowflake to click on it for the sub codes. I had to clear codes to get the car to start and move into gear to get it home. I will have to do further testing to determine cause.

The main question is not what is causing the problem, but is there a reputable shop in my area do do the work, as I cannot R&R the transaxle on my own - if that turns out to be the issue.

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Waco is included in Matt's service area: Texas Prius Battery Replacement (y)

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. tommymommy

tommymommy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does he also replace transaxles? The hybrid battery is no biggie and has a 3 yr warranty. I put it in last summer. Not rocket science; just heavy.

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yeah, he had a couple out and laying about in his shop when I was there. Pretty much anything prius.

7. tommymommy

tommymommy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to know. Once I have time to replicate the fault code, I have someone I can call.

8. tommymommy

tommymommy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK? Drove the car down the street half a block and it threw codes again.

I got P0AA6 with sub codes 526 and 612

And C1259
    C 1310 Sub code 156
    B 1521

9. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    612 means it's in the hybrid battery. Probably a leaking module. Where did you buy your Dorman battery from?

10. tommymommy

tommymommy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    O'Reilly Auto Parts. It lasted a year and 10 days. Bummer...

11. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's good. Should be easier to get replaced than if you had purchased online.

12. tommymommy

tommymommy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just did a quick check of the 12v. I have not cleared the code from earlier and don't know if that affects the reading. My 12v was 11.8 -not good, without load and 11.5 with load.

Should I clear codes and retest in the morning? This is one of the requirements I have to need for warranty replacement of the traction battery. Just in case a bad 12v is causing the crazy behaviors.

#12 tommymommy, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
  13. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are hoping that the problem is the 12 V battery, then sorry to disappoint. While the battery is essentially at 0% SoC (state of charge), all that tells you is that you need to charge the battery to full (~13 V), just so that you are not having any red herrings caused by unreliable 12 V supply. How long the battery can sustain 11.5 V at load will give an indication of how good the battery is.

You can (and should anyway) charge your 12 V battery and then clear the codes. Don't surprised to see the P0AA6-612 come back, it won't disappear all on its own. The good news is that it not the transaxle, inverter or A/C.

14. tommymommy

tommymommy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    True that! Part of the warranty requirement is that I test the 12v. I am relieved to find the 612 code, but wish I didn't have to deal with it at all. I'm tired of replacing the traction battery every 2 years and even more upset that this one only lasted a year.

15. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Part and parcel of buying a rebuilt battery, doesn't really matter who does it these days. They are getting more and more unreliable and short lived as the stock of second-hand battery modules (used to repair them) get older and in shorter supply. Dorman have already reduced their warranty to 1 year because of this.

If you want a reliable repair, the only way to go is a battery with all brand new modules. Toyota OEM can be had for $2200-$2400 if you shop around. Matt @Texas Hybrid Batteries can fit a competitively priced Toyota OEM for you.

If that sounds like too much to have a reliable car that will go another 10-13 years, then you may need to look at trading for something newer.

16. tommymommy

tommymommy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

It's not so much that it's too much, as I have already had the battery replaced 3 times before this one by Houston Hybrid (Not knocking them. Received good service. It just gets old.). Now this one that cost me another $1300. I should have -hindsight is 20/20- gone with a new one.

17. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Sadly, we see it all to often here.

If it were me, and if I intended to hang on to it for another 10 years, knowing what I know now, I would cut my losses, and have a new battery installed. You can be sure your next Dorman will not last more than 1 year.

BTW Huston Hybrids could also give you a good price on a new OEM HV battery.

18. tommymommy

tommymommy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They've been great in the past. What I run into is having to replace two tractions batteries at roughly the same time, as I own both an '06 and '07. For the most part, they've been great cars. Although, the '06 is the better of the two. I'll give thought to how I'm going to deal with this. Dorman may be crap, but it did come with a 3 yr warranty. On the other hand, not having to fuss with it or risk getting stuck away from home has its merits, too.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No problem. I don't envy your position. Some hard decisions, for sure.

Good luck with it.

20. dina p

dina p New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    SO what was the final outcome of the vehicle? Just the main battery or 12v and inverter/transaxle? I'm having the same issue now with my 2007 prius. Had a total shut off while driving 80mph on a hwy. Flashers and dome light still worked, but nothing else. Couldn't get the car to turn back on. Found on this chat site that it was possibly the inverter. Cars at the dealership now and they told me the P0AA6 code came up. I'm having them check for other codes, but initially said nothing else came up. I to had the Hybrid battery replace 2 years ago with a rebuilt model. Just trying to figure out my next decision and step. frustrated.