1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0AA6 help request

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bigjohnson, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Bigjohnson

Bigjohnson New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here goes nothing. Quick backstory. 2008 Prius. Last summer my inverter pump went out and I replaced it but before it was replaced I had to drive an hour in very hot weather to get the vehicle home from Mexico.

Now I popped the P0AA6 code after a very short trip and couldn’t get the car in drive after I turned it off. Disconnected the battery. Reconnected. Was able to drive home but the code popped again about 30 minutes into the drive. Same process again and code popped again in 30 minutes and won’t let me go into drive. I tried a doorman test I found that told me to clear the code and put the car in accessory mode but not ready... let it sit... If code pops it has to deal with your traction battery. It didn’t.. step 2 was to turn the car on into ready mode and put it into neutral for 30 seconds. I did this and the code popped. The video says this is either a chassis connection or the power inverter. I did super stress my inverter so I was thinking this was a good first shot but I’m also reading a lot about transmissions going out. I can’t seem to find the specific code in my scan tool that says whether is battery, inverter, or transmission related. OBD fusion simply shows the code, Type-Powertrain, Status-Confirmed, ECU-Cruise Control. I can’t find the 536 code or 613 or whatever they were however. I did find the voltage for all modules in the traction battery and they are showing 15.3-15.6 for all which seems good. 12 volt battery is generally showing 12.9 dropping to 12.0 with headlight load. So I think batteries are good and I either need an inverter, transmission, or it’s just a connection.

I’m kinda lost as to where to go from here. I’m tempted to start with the inverter and just get it replaced but the transmission thing worries me. The inverter pump shows turbulence so I think I’m good there. I read somewhere the inverter and transmission is under warranty under 150k miles. Is this accurate? I’m barely over 100k miles. Any ideas? See attached for trouble code info. Thanks for any help guys!

Attached Files:

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Marty2go and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If I had to guess, I would guess you have a leaking module in your battery pack. It's a bit more common for 2008 modules to leak.

Steve at Phoenixhybridbatteries.com can help you with this

Raytheeagle and SFO like this.
  4. Bigjohnson

Bigjohnson New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow SFO that workup looks amazing. Does anyone know where I need to go in the OBD Fusion app to find the sub idea for the P0AA6? I couldn’t find them today when I was poking around the app but I’ll have to try again tomorrow. As of now I don’t know which subcodes are in there.

5. Bigjohnson

Bigjohnson New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 526/612. Time to go through the workup. Does anyone recommend a megohmmeter under $100 I do I need to go big to get these tests done? Looking on amazon there’s a huge range and I’m not sure which one to get.

6. Bigjohnson

Bigjohnson New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also if anyone could recommend some gloves.

7. Marty2go

Marty2go Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    SFO likes this.
  8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Info code 612 is pointing to a ground fault within the high voltage traction battery. The most likely cause of that is a battery module leaking electrolyte. When the electrolyte contacts the sheet metal case floor, that constitutes the path for the ground fault. If this is your problem the attendant corrosion on the battery terminals will be so obvious that you do not need a megohmmeter.