1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

p0aa6??? Please help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by OmaramO, Apr 29, 2015.

1. OmaramO

OmaramO Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hey guys this is my first post but I've been reading the forums religiously whenever I have a problem. I do battery reconditioning and swapping. Yesterday I had a customer call me for a battery swap. When I arrived the customer had his mechanic with him and he had a huge snap on scanner attached to the car and had already read the code and turned it off. I asked what the code was and he said "p0aa6 it's a bad battery" and I said okay taking his word even though I was not familiar with that code. So I swapped the battery and everything was running fine. The customer called me this morning saying the check engine lights came back on so I decided to do a little research on the code. I didn't find out much and I'm sure if I had the time I could find the answer but it seems like it's a problem with a voltage leak. One thing I did notice is that when I disconnected the ground from the car on the 12v it was sparking like crazy. The leak is obviously not coming from inside the battery pack itself considering I just changed it and the lights came right back on with the same code. I'm sorry if this has already been discussed but I'm on my way to work then to my customers house after work and don't have any extra time to research. Thank you!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!(y)

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, DTC P0AA6 is a high voltage ground fault. Any component in contact with the high voltage may be causing that fault: the traction battery, traction battery ECU, battery cables, inverter, transaxle, or air conditioner compressor.

If you are going to be working on Toyota hybrids (or any Toyota vehicle for that matter) you should get Mini VCI so you can see the DTC and the info codes which are logged. The three-digit info code may help to identify the general area of the high voltage ground fault.

4. OmaramO

OmaramO Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thank you. I am currently using a launch creader pro crp123 but like I said in my post the guys mechanic had erased all the codes before I got there for some odd reason. But if I purchase a mini vci it should give more info than my scanner? Is the 3 digit code like a sub code connected to the original code?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes and yes.

6. OmaramO

OmaramO Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks! I'm going to purchase one right now. Is there a certain brand or site that you guys would suggest purchasing from ?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think they get them on ebay, and you need windows 7 to run it. preferably dedicated.

8. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mini VCI -- you can search this forum for more information on the gadget -- and there is a lot of it -- so I would encourage you to do that before you buy, but search, no one wants to rehash what has already been written -- but most people buy them from a handful of sellers on amazon.com