1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P1116 and P1121 with no cabin heat

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Free PNG, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Free PNG

Free PNG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello everyone,

Need to pick your brains. I have a 2008 Prius w about 130k. I bought used. It had pre existing error codes P1116 and P1121 with no symptoms.

I installed a Dorman water control valve in May 2020 and codes went away.

Although I had a washer frequent - intermittent machine washer noise even while driving. I'm pretty sure it was the newly installed Dorman water control valve.

Then about two weeks ago I had a good ticking noise every once in a while only during start for 49 seconds or so and no washer machine noise. When I didn't have tick there was no noise. Then I got codes P1116 and P1121. Shortly after no cabin heat accompanied the codes. Otherwise car is driving, starting etc fine.

I have a new control valve to replace it. But I'm aware of other parts that might be the culprit. (Inverter pump, auxiliary pump, storage container, temp sensor on storage, water pump {Im not seeing fluid around it}, etc.

I'm wondering if just a bad aftermarket control valve, something else is messing it up, or just my luck.

I am not looking forward to going back into this job and less happy about going back in after. ....

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In this case, I would say it looks, walks, and quacks like the control valve.

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Think more folks have reported aftermarket control valves having issues than aftermarket inverter pumps, but YMMV.

Either should come with a lifetime warranty if purchased at a chain store like, autozone or oreillys.

Free PNG likes this.
  4. Free PNG

Free PNG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do I only bleed radiator after water control valve replacement? Last time I bleed storage tank, inverter, and radiator.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The engine, storage tank, control valve, and (larger) radiator are all one system, so yes, you have to burp the air out of that.

The inverter and transaxle (and their, smaller, radiator) are a separate cooling system, so as long as you didn't disturb it while changing the control valve, you don't need to do anything there.

6. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My ICE coolant was very low and my heat wasn't working so I just filled up the overflow and filled up the radiator. Some of the air bubbles came out just by doing that then when the bubbles stopped I would start the car and let it run for a minute then check the radiator and add. I did this about 4 or 5 times and filled up the radiator. Then the heat started working. Now the past 3 mornings I fill the radiator if it needs it. I'm not going to burp the system or anything beyond that since everything is working.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Any speculation as to where the coolant is going?

8. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had opened the radiator to see if there was oil mixed in the coolant while the engine wasn't completely cold so some bubbled out of the radiator. The overflow was empty to begin with I believe. I never checked it owning the car for 13 years.

9. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just replaced a two year old dorman control valve. No heat in the cabin and the trouble code pointed toward the valve. I have no reason to believe it wasn’t installed correctly. I think some parts don’t have good aftermarket equivalents

10. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I filled the overflow to the midpoint. I added coolant to the radiator then turn the car on for 1 min and burped the system. I probably did this about 4 times. The next 2 mornings I added coolant to the radiator and the heat is back.

11. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The coolant should never "become low" by itself. Where is it leaking out?

Brian1954 likes this.
  12. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I never checked it owning the car for 13 years. Also, one day I opened the radiator while the car was warm after 5 hours and some bubbled out.