1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P1116 code

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pjc, Sep 17, 2012.

1. pjc

pjc Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    My apologies if this question has been answered somewhere already (PC's search function doesn't work well on DTC codes, unfortunately), but I've been getting P1116 codes a few times lately and was wondering what that means.

As I've posted in a separate thread, sometimes the code changes to a P0000 (reading via a SGII).

Note that I have ccdisce's engine temp spoofer as well as a 4kwh Enginer PHEV kit.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. pjc

pjc Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    It looks to me like the DTC may be spurious and due to the spoofer.

I wouldn't call it a "mistake". With my PHEV kit installed, I often don't hardly use the ICE at all on trips. I don't see why I should use a bunch of gas just to get the engine block all toasty warm when I don't use it. Without the spoofer I use more gas to keep the engine warm than I do to move the car forward. If I get a few spurious DTCs in the process, I'm okay with that.

I just need to verify that the DTC is indeed spurious and not indicative of a real underlying problem.... I'll probably just turn off the spoofer for awhile.

usnavystgc likes this.
  4. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I also have ccdisce's spoofer and one morning got P1116 after several very short trips. It went away after a few regular trips. We figured it came about probably because Prius computer does not like to see constant engine coolant T for a long period of time.

pjc likes this.
  5. pjc

pjc Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    OK. Thanks. It makes me feel better that someone else has seen it, too. I will just clear the codes and ignore then. :)

6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree that getting ccdisce's ECT spoofer is no mistake. It is the best, easiest to use, plug and play mod for the Prius and... it truly does increase fuel economy. It really benefits those that are PHEV modified but, it also provides a mpg increase to a regular unmodified Prius. I have used it for months with no codes at all and fuel economy has steadily increased since I installed it (from about 44mpg to 48mpg). Its awesome to be in S4 in about 45 seconds. I love it!!!!

[email protected] likes this.