1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P1121 - What is a Coolant Flow Control Valve Position Sensor?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by drive2much, Jul 30, 2012.

1. drive2much

drive2much Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The check engine light on my '05 Prius has gone on and off a couple of times and is giving me a P1121 code, which I found out means "Coolant Flow Control Valve Position Sensor Stuck". Does this have anything to do with the hybrid electric coolant pump that was replaced under recall a while back?

2. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    drive2much,

I believe not. I think it is in the engine coolant loop & has something to do with the hot coolant that is pumped into & out of the storage thermos tank. I'm not positive, but that's what I think.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

drive2much and PriusCamper like this.
  3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If the coolant is low due to an air lock finding it's way out this can cause the valve to stick, so check the coolant level and top up with SLLC if required. This may help.

drive2much likes this.
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This has nothing to do with the pump replaced under recall.

Check the engine coolant reservoir which is located behind the radiator. If the fluid level is low, then fill to the full mark and see if the CEL goes away after 3 starts. If the fluid level is good, then the coolant flow control valve needs to be replaced. This valve switches coolant flow between the coolant heat recovery canister and the cabin heater core, and is a fairly common North America Prius failure.

drive2much likes this.
  5. drive2much

drive2much Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ken, Britprius, and Patrick, Thank you all for your responses! I will check the engine coolant when I get home. Hopefully that will do the trick.

6. coopertino808

coopertino808 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

drive2much, I have the same problem and just dropped my car off at the shop. Did topping off your coolant work?