1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P1124 ODB ODBC error code

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rwernst, Jun 22, 2015.

1. rwernst

rwernst Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2005, Gen 2 got check engine light. I've turned it off, will see if it reappears.

Scanner says it's a P1124, generically is:

Throttle Control Motor Relay Circuit Short

And/or

P1124 OBD-II Diagnostic Powertrain (P) Trouble Code

But says Toyota may have a more specific listing for this code.

Anyone have a reference that'll tell me if Toyota has a more specific description, as well as what to check/do if this code comes up?

Thanks

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

You're asking exactly the right question. The reference you're looking for is Volume 1 of your service manual on techinfo.toyota.com, which will tell you exactly what the code means and index it to probably several pages of workup to help you isolate and repair the problem.

In general, the original standards for DTCs reserved a low part of the range (P0xxx as I recall) for codes that would be defined in the standard and the same across manufacturers and models. When you see a P0xxx code, you can pretty safely trust whatever any generic listing tells you. But a code in the P1xxx range is manufacturer/model specific, so if you look it up in anything that isn't your own service manual for your own car, you'll often get something that doesn't even make sense.

Naturally, even for a code in the standardized, P0xxx range, you can look at any generic list to find out what it probably means, but for the specific repair steps for your vehicle, you'll probably still want to look in your specific service manual anyway.

-Chap

3. rwernst

rwernst Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, unfortunately that TIS website you referred me to is only by subscription of some sort. I'm not a professional mechanic, just a mechanical savvy owner. I was hoping someone would actually have the info itself.

Or, is there a site that sells a searchable service manual that would include this type of thing? I hate subscription stuff.

Thanks.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    On the other hand, unless you got a spectacular deal on the car, it's a much bigger investment than the $15 at techinfo for two days to download your info, and if you like the car (or would like to sell it down the road to someone who likes them), going to the source for the info you need so you won't bungle repairs can be a good way to preserve your investment.

It also looks as if the bound-paper versions of your 3 service volumes and the wiring diagram (all things your techinfo subscription gives you access to) are still in print, if you prefer something you can hold instead of something you log in to download. :)

-Chap

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I should probably even elaborate a little on why the manuals are good to refer to.

You might be thinking that the diagnostic codes allow you to determine what's wrong with the car by looking in a little list. Somebody could send you a one-line response that says P1124 is the TURBO-ENCABULATOR PHASE DISTORTION SENSOR and then you buy one of those, bolt it on, and your car is fixed.

It's not like that. The car's computers have access to a bunch of different sensors and data, and from that information they can give you codes that suggest an area. Diagnosing your problem then means working sort of backwards, knowing what data and sensor readings are involved in triggering that code, to figure out what actual problem in the car caused those readings, and triggered that code. All that information is in the manuals. When you look up your P1124 in the DTC table you find a page number there. When you turn to that page you will find usually several, sometimes a dozen or more, pages of systematic steps for you to test and work up, so that you ultimately know what the problem is that you're facing. That's a gold mine. If you try to do without that information and just guess what's wrong from some one-liner DTC listing, you're more or less throwing parts around. Which is ok, if you've got that kind of money.

On the forum, there are surely lots of people who do have the manual and, if it is near them at the keyboard, wouldn't mind shooting you the one-liner from the DTC list. I'd do it myself except I have a 2001 and it doesn't have that code. :) But we also all know that you'd be much better off to have the information that goes with it, and when that runs into pages it's a bit more to ask other forum contributors to sort of transcribe for you. Often people will, but of course it totally depends on how much free time they have, when there is an obvious direct source where you'll find the information every time.

-Chap

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not believe DTC P1124 is a valid Prius fault code.

I suggest you get Mini VCI which will retrieve all DTC logged by Toyota vehicles.

valde3 likes this.