1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P1150 after engine replacement, but not before. Air pocket?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 04 Prius, Aug 7, 2014.

1. 04 Prius

04 Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Went to take the new ride on it's maiden journey with the new engine last night so I could have it inspected to get the tags @ DMV today. Warmed it up a few minutes in the shop, & as I pull out it sets a check engine and maint. req'd light. Scanned a P1150 code. If I let the car set a while, I can jumper on the electric pump via the relay socket, & it sounds loaded and quiet as it should, I can hear some gurgling when it stops. If I run the engine a minute, then jumpering the pump, it sounds loud and unloaded, occasionally catches a gulp of water & back to dry. If I run the engine a bit it gets hot quickly but the radiator hoses are cold. (new mech water pump) I'm pulling my hair out, seems like it has trapped air to my thinking, but for the life of me I can not coax it out. Tried the bleeder, tried squeezing hoses, tried pulling a vacuum, tried jacking up alternate sides of the car, running it with rad cap off/bleeder open.......am I chasing my tail on this?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, it sounds like you have substantial air in the engine coolant loop. When you run the cabin heater, does the heater work? Do you hear air bubbling around in the heater core?

How much coolant have you added to the system so far? With a newly installed engine I would expect you would need to add at least seven US quarts if you drained the coolant heat recovery system canister.

I have posted on how to replace the engine coolant here, see my posts 22 and 42 and surrounding discussion:
    Changing engine coolant | Page 2 | PriusChat

DTC P1150 means that the coolant heat recovery system sensor is not getting the temperature change that it expects to see as fluid comes out of the CHRS canister and passes by the sensor. That could be caused by air in the system or a failed engine coolant valve.

3. 04 Prius

04 Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just tried it, no gurgling and no noticeably warm air. one question, should i have instant heat with the heated tank, or does it need to run a while? I gave it about 3 minutes, dont want to get the engine too hot.

4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the car is just sitting on the driveway you don't have to worry much about overheating the engine. Fill the radiator fully and install the cap. Rev up the engine for around 10 minutes while having the cabin heater set to MAX HEAT and fan on max speed.

After you turn off the engine, check the radiator fluid level. Repeat as needed.

Even when the cooling system is working perfectly, you are not going to get instant heat. The CHRS canister holds 3 quarts of hot fluid. That isn't much to heat up the engine and the cabin heater.

5. 04 Prius

04 Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok, I will give that a try

6. 04 Prius

04 Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Getting better, finally got cabin heat to come through after about 12 minutes, rad hoses still cold, but now the upper one is empty so the air has moved. Good stuff, thanks.

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After you have gotten the engine and cabin heater coolant loops filled nicely, don't forget the CHRS. When the engine is off, short the switched terminals of the CHRS relay to run the pump for 10 seconds at a time and see if the fluid movement sounds OK. If any air has moved to that area then you'll need to continue to run the pump intermittently to fill the canister with fluid and shift the air bubbles to the radiator area where they can vent out.

8. 04 Prius

04 Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok, thanks again, still working on bleeding, but I've gotten almost another gallon in it now. The CHRS pump sounds completely dry right now, but the engine is hovering around 190*, I have coolant flow in the rad now, fan comes on. Is there some kind of check valve in the rad bleeder? I try to crack it with light pressure in the rad to burp it and nothing comes out. I would expect it to push coolant or relieve air and let off the system pressure. Mityvac pulls little coolant bubbles out so it shouldn't be plugged.

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, the radiator bleed valve is a simple unit and if you start opening it, fluid should come out if the radiator is full. It sounds like you need to work on the CHRS system, and the link I earlier provided in post #2 will give you lots of info about how to do that.

10. 04 Prius

04 Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did look at the link last night. I still never did get fluid to come out of the bleed, I think it was pulling air around the bleed screw, It seems to have stopped taking coolant now. I think I might have been wrong on the pump, I never really got to hear it before, & I think what I was hearing before as "loaded" was it deadheading on that big air blob I had. Sounds like there is fluid moving around with it on. I haven't driven the car yet, but so far all seems ready. Going to give this thing a big shampoo job inside before I go out, (previous owner had young children) what a mess they can make!