1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P1423 Gross Fuel Leak code has popped up a few times

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Cody Harrison, Jul 31, 2023.

1. Cody Harrison

Cody Harrison New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey everyone,

I've got a 2016 Prius and have had this code pop up I think 3 times now. I'm struggling to remember but I'm pretty sure I had them do a test at a Toyota service center a while back when I had it in for scheduled maintenance and it came back fine and they were pretty sure it was just the fuel cap that triggered it. So assuming that's what it is, I'm just hoping to get a little more info about how that works. I make sure now to tighten the cap until it clicks but if it keeps happening maybe I'm doing something wrong. Could I be overtightening?? Or could the seal on the gas cap be bad (it looks fine to me)? Or something else wrong with the cap?

In searching the forum to see about others having this issue I saw some comments about filling up the tank too quickly (didn't know that was a thing..), and problems resulting from overfilling the tank. I do squeeze the pump all the way down and set it on the auto-fill, should I do a lower fill speed?? And I have topped off the tank once or twice, so I definitely won't do that anymore, but is it possible I messed up the solenoid or something by overfilling?

2. Doug McC

Doug McC Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    ANYTHING is possible. However, a simpler approach might be to replace the cap (with a Toyota replacement unless you just like having headaches) and follow the refueling advice in the manual (ie: let it fill until it clicks off and stop). It is highly unlikely (not impossible) that toppling it off twice would damage it.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The cap is an easy thing to replace.

It is, of course, far from the only possible place the fuel system could develop a leak, so if you do the easy thing and replace the cap, and the self-test still tells you there's a leak, all that means is it's time to look harder for the leak.

Doug McC likes this.