1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P148F code (coolant pump over revolution) and high temperature light

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by MyBlackPriusCar, Sep 30, 2023.

1. MyBlackPriusCar

MyBlackPriusCar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    150k miles on my car. High temp light came on yesterday for about 30 seconds and then disappeared. I checked the coolant level and it was normal.

I ran it this morning and drove about 15 miles, no warning light but I was watching the coolant temp through my OBD reader. It got up to 198 degrees F (in the red zone). I stopped and checked the coolant level and no change.

do you think the water pump needs to be changed? Anything else might be the issue?

Earlier last month, I had low coolant that so topped up and no issues after that until now.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You don't mention any trouble codes in your post, but your thread title has P148F in it.

If you have a P148F code, the water pump needs to be changed.

3. MyBlackPriusCar

MyBlackPriusCar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, yes it’s the p148f code. Is it driveable with this code or do I need to get it towed to a mechanic? I know it’s a fairly easy DIY but I’m on the road at the moment.

Also, Do you I think the temp sensor needs to be replaced also since the coolant temp was reading high ?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The temp sensor is reading high because the coolant is too hot. The coolant is too hot because the pump isn't pumping it. The engine is on borrowed time that way. How much time can you borrow? Dun᠎no. I wouldn't want to borrow any.