1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P1611, P0211, P1121, P1116

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by imp_44, May 20, 2020.

1. imp_44

imp_44 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    New to car ownership and maintenance but eager to do things myself.
    My '05 prius has been throwing an assortment of codes for the past 6 months or so. The most recurring ones are p1116 and p1121. I've been to a mechanic twice (for regular maintenance) but the codes were gone by the time I made it to my appointment. I was also reluctant to spend more time/money after replacing the high voltage battery a few months before.

Anyways, now I have a surplus of time but still not much money. Can someone with minimal experience troubleshoot these codes? I'm scared of screwing things up more, despite successfully replacing the HV batt last year. Should I accept my limits and ask a professional to take a look?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Which device are you using, or how are you currently reading these codes (DTCs) ?

Have you already taken a look at the PDF workups for the above DTCs, and if not are you capable of searching for them yourself?

3. williamsdan94

williamsdan94 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Sounds like your Coolant Flow Control Valve is faulty. This valve just helps redirect coolant to other parts of your cooling system to help warm up your engine faster or help store hot coolant in the insulated tank, or pass hot coolant through your heater core. Not fixing this won't damage your engine or inverter, as it won't restrict your cooling systems ability to cool your engine or inverter. You may not get hot air or may use more fuel on start up since the engine will take longer to warm up, but nothing detrimental. I do recommend getting this fixed though as it's not a good idea to just let something go because it's not a big enough inconvenience to you.

The repair job itself is fairly easy, and the valve probably costs about $70 new. You'll also need to buy some coolant because you will leak quite a bit unless you pinch off the hoses, but even then you'll lose a little bit. All in all, you just need to replace this valve which is easy to get to and easy to replace, refill coolant, and then bleed the coolant system of any air.