1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P2111 after oil leak to 0.25qt left

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AllenZ, Sep 25, 2012.

1. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My friend's 2005 Prius with 150K miles had an oil leak. His wife did not know and keep driving 5 miles a day for 5 days. Eventually he added 3.5 qt oil to top off. Now he got the code P2111, which means:

Definition:
    Throttle actuator control system - Stuck open
    Problem Cause:
    1. Faulty throttle control motor circuit
    2. Throttle control motor fault
    3. Throttle body fault
    Now what?
    The funny thing is, when he asked his wife why not tell him earlier, she said: whenever the triangle light comes up, I turn on the head light, and the warning was gone.... until now the oil leak light also on....
    BTW, she drives aggressively, generally get 38mpg on local.
    He has a local mechanical who fix cars in garage. My friend wants to know the probable cause and estimated cost before talking with the mechanics.
    Help please!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As you listed, DTC P2111 points to a problem with the throttle control motor or the throttle body. That will probably cost in the high three-digits to repair.

I am wondering what kind of leak would cause 3.5 quarts of oil to disappear over 5 days and 25 miles of driving? How does your friend know that the oil leak only started 5 days ago?

What is being done about that leak, and how much damage was caused to the engine? The potential damage caused by lack of lubrication can result in a much more costly repair (i.e., engine replacement may be required) than the throttle control motor.

3. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oh, the warning light (triangle) started 5 days ago, but his wife continue to ignore it. It went on and off, but eventually the oil leak light also went on after 5 days, then he added 3.5 qt oil, took to oil change place, found oil near oil pan (close to oil filter).

4. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wonder if the P2111 code is the result of oil leak and engine overheat. The car still feels normal when drive. I asked him to put a large newspaper under the car, and see how much leak tomorrow.

After the oil pan fixed, what needs to be done to fix the code? What parts may need to replace and how much it could cost in a typical none dealer mechanical shop?

Thank!

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The low oil "warning" (master warning red triangle light) is not going to happen until the engine oil level has dropped ~2 quarts or more, so the oil leak may have started much more than 5 days ago.

It sounds like the leak has not been repaired yet. My guess is that the car hit substantial road debris which impacted the engine. That may be a fairly costly repair depending upon what engine part was damaged. If your friend is lucky, only the oil pan will need to be replaced or resealed.

Engine coolant flows through the throttle body as a winter de-icing measure. I suppose that when the engine overheated due to lack of lubrication, that might have caused the throttle plate to bind up.

I had previously estimated that the repair price will be in the high three-digits (i.e., $600-$700) if the throttle assembly has to be replaced. This assumes an independent installing a used part.

However, I would caution you that if the independent mechanic has not been trained on Toyota hybrids, it would be better to rely upon Toyota dealer service. For example, will the mechanic know how to invoke inspection mode so that the engine can be made to run continuously for testing purposes.

MSRP on a new throttle body is ~$906 so you can expect that the dealer bill will be around $1,300 or so.

AllenZ and [email protected] like this.
  6. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Patrick,

Can you tell me how to invoke inspection mode?

7. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would disconnect 12V battery, clean throttle body, reconnect battery, and drive until code comes back.

northwichita likes this.
  8. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Avi,

Not sure what do you mean. The code P2111 is still there.

9. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry, I was answering the question "After the oil pan fixed, what needs to be done to fix the code?"
    I would do that first, then see what happens. The disconnecting of the battery should erase the codes.

10. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    • Set parking brake, gear selector in P, and A/C OFF.
    • Turn ignition ON (READY lamp illuminated), then turn ignition OFF.
    • Perform the following steps within 60 seconds.
    • DO NOT depress the brake pedal. Press and release the Power button twice to enter IG-ON.
    • Fully depress and release the accelerator pedal 2x with the gear selector in P position.
    • Depress the brake pedal and move the gear selector to N position.
    • Fully depress and release the accelerator pedal 2x with the gear selector in N position.
    • Depress the brake pedal and move the gear selector back to P position.
    • Fully depress and release the accelerator pedal 2x with the gear selector in P position.
    • The hybrid system warning on the multi-function display should flash.
    • Depress the brake pedal and depress and release the Power button once to turn ignition ON (READY lamp illuminated).
    • The IC engine should start and run continuously.
    Depending on the year, the MFD will either flash, or in mine (2006) I get the "!Problem!" with the car and it eats up the top of the MFD the whole time (like volume control area).

AllenZ likes this.