1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P219A What Next, please?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by KellyDean, May 23, 2022.

1. KellyDean

KellyDean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey all! Long time listener, first time caller. You all have been my blessing. So, thank you.

2013 Prius crossed over 200K. Lots of cross-country trips. Also, I use it for my delivery job.

A while back, I had shuddering issues at low speeds and seemed like my gas miles was garbage. 37.1 to be exact. So, I've had several things worked on or did it myself. These things included

1. Manifold Gasket Replacement - I think unrelated but they were leaking and never done before
    2. Manifold Cleaning - Service tech did it with a can or something but then I did it again by taking it out, brushed stuff, sprayed inside, and even cleaned that pipe. - This solved the shuddering issues and car felt a lot better.
    3. I did not clean or replace the EGR cooler I don't think.
    4. I did clean throttle body area, can't recall if I replaced or cleaned the Air Flow Sensor. Pretty sure I did.
    Sometime later, engine light came on while driving on the highway - No issues, just the light so I replaced the PCV valve. Gas mileage inched up. Still no noticeable issues but then the light came on again some drives later. This time, I bought a basic scanner and it indicated bank 1 02 sensor. I thought that might be just that so I ordered one and it has been replaced as of yesterday.

Later in the day, while out and about on my deliveries, the light came on again. I finished my route and checked it. This time, it's the P219A code. Also says (Manufacture Control) I don't have techstream to dig deeper...or a laptop. I'm not totally against taking it to get properly scanned, but I would rather ask you folks.

If it helps to know, the car has been well taken car of. I DO drive a lot. Several thousands miles ago, I had the spark plugs changed. Not the coils.

So, if this were your car, what would you do next? I cleared the check engine light. Will the light go out and stay out after a while now that the new sensor is in? I looked underneath to make sure it was connected properly - looks good.

OH by the way, my gas mile has SHOT UP by 3-5 MPG already. So, that's awesome.

Thanks again. - Kelly

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you carefully clean the very small egr passages in the bottoms of the four manifold ports? i would do the cooler also

3. KellyDean

KellyDean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Bisco - Thanks for taking a second to reply. I've been on this site for years, really helpful stuff. I can't believe you all take the time to help strangers like you do so often. So, thank you all for being decent humans.

I just saw that my code has been addressed extensively and so I feel well read, finally. When we changed the gaskets, cleaning the manifold ports was sort of an after-thought. He took out his spray and a thicker brush that he had with him and did what he could. That thing was really dirty but he did mention he did not do some little side ones? Made a huge difference none the less.

Anyway, I know he cleaned up the EGR pipe because I saw it sitting there, recognized it from PriusChat, and we ran a brush through it. I'm now positive we did not clean the EGR valve or cooler itself. We'll do that next.

If I need a new CAT at some point, do you have a brand you recommend? I see Walker, Mangaflow...on and on. I just don't want any freaky problems and I want the mechanic at the shop to have and easy time. I am very blessed to live in San Antonio, Texas -- within a couple of miles, there is a great shop where I pull up, hand them the part, and they do it. I'm going to inspect the outside of the CAT. I wonder if it is indeed noticeably damaged. I've had some bumpy roads, dips, etc on my delivery routes out in the country. Maybe I banged it up.
    Walker Catalytic Converter- EPA Ultra, Direct Replacement, No Fabrication Needed
    No Reviews
    5 YR REPLACEMENT IF DEFECTIVE
    Part # 16649
    Exact Fitfor your2013 Toyota Prius Three
    EPA; Heat Recycle System; with Federal/California Emissions System; Not legal for sale or use in California and other CARB-compliant states. Legal in New York and Maine on EPA Federal Emission Equipped Vehicles only. Consult the aftermarket converter regulations in your state for details.; Exhaust Gasket is Recommended; Ultra Direct Fit Type

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would search for what other people have used, there are a number of good cat threads.
    and follow the advice above to see what your state requires. no sense in paying for a carb compliant thread if it is not needed.
    and don't forget, your old cat is worth $500. - 1,000.