1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P2601 Code- which pump?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Ashyukun, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Ashyukun

Ashyukun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, the only two remaining pesky codes on my 2005 are a P2601 and P0420- Coolant Pump Control Circuit Range/Performance and the Catalyst system. I'm addressing the P0420 otherwise, but yesterday tried looking into the P2601 by jumpering the relay above the engine bay (right-most while looking at the row of them, hopefully this was the right one). Jumpering it didn't get any response from anything other than a slight spark from the wire- so I'm going to assume that the pump isn't working at all.

My questions is, which pump is it that needs to be replaced? I believe there are three in there- the engine coolant pump which I can identify, and two smaller ones- one the looks kind of like a hershey kiss on a metal bracket and another right in front of the driver's front tire that is more cylindrical.

EDIT: This should probably be in maintenance and not technical discussion- sorry.

#1 Ashyukun, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    SFO likes this.
  3. Ashyukun

Ashyukun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, that's the relay (and contacts) I was jumping to try and get it running. I figured on unplugging it and trying to run it directly first to confirm if the pump was dead first. Now if only it weren't the most expensive of the water pumps.... :/

Thanks!

4. Ashyukun

Ashyukun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, tested the pump directly by applying 12V from a good battery- got nothing but a spark when I made the connection- so I'm assuming the pump has failed and have ordered a new one. I've done some searching though and have not found any writeups on how to replace that pump- it looks like it should be very easy since it's fairly accessible through the driver's front wheel well with the inner fender removed. I figure a couple of hose clamp-off pliers could be used to clamp the two lines and then swap out the pumps, fill the new pump with coolant, and then reconnect the lines and jumper the pump to get it to run out what hopefullyu little air got into the system.