1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P3000-123 and P0A80 after hybrid battery reconditioning and rebalancing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by bbellgrl, Sep 3, 2024 at 9:53 PM.

1. bbellgrl

bbellgrl New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After a lengthy hybrid pack rebalancing with an EV-Peak BGUAD CQ3 Multi Charger, every module had over 7500 mAh capacity on charge, and 5000 mAh on discharge. I found just one module that had under 5,000 mAh capacity on discharge and bought a replacement on eBay that tested perfectly when I received it. I replaced the lower capacity cell, then rebalanced, then found another error that led me to a single module that was leaking through its anchor/screw receptacle on its underside. Just to see what would happen, i replaced the leaky module with my lower-capacity module that I had previously replaced.

After remounting the pack, everything seemed fine until after a 20-minute drive, the red triangle popped up again and gave me a P3000 and a P0A80. I checked all the plugs for corrosion and didn't find much other than a tiny bit of green on one of them (see attached photo). I disconnected the 12V for a while which cleared the codes, but they came right back. I just drove the car again and it drives just fine, but I had the Dr. Prius app live monitoring my drive and saw the "Pack Voltage" block turn red as the voltage exceeded 250 (it was at 252.4).

Voltage difference on my modules is .13 as reported by the Dr. Prius app.
    Techstream shows module resistance as 19 ohms across all 28 modules. I've attached some screenshots.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I'm wondering if the problem is related to the slightly lower capacity module I put back into the pack. I'm so close to pulling the trigger on a refurb pack from a good vendor, but with all of my modules having tested so strongly after multiple reconditioning rounds, I feel like my pack still has some life left in it (my car has only 148k miles), and I don't know if the refurb pack will resolve these error codes anyway.

Attached Files:

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Try another battery computer

3. bbellgrl

bbellgrl New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What do you mean by battery computer ?

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You'll want to clean that corrosion and treat the connection with good dielectric grease. Then reseal the cracked body seam filler around the tailgate hatch.

However, that has nothing to do with your present codes. I would click on the snowflake symbol next to the code in Techstream- that's freezeframe data. It should shed some light on what the ecu saw when it set the code.

P0A80 almost always sets when the battery ecu sees the difference in block voltages of greater than 0.3V for "too long" (whatever Toyota says that is).

Dr Prius is useful for quick visual monitoring of battery operation. Most faults show up during heavy accel (discharge) - particularly when State Of Charge is lower.

It might be just the paid version of the app, but Dr Prius can datalog while you drive. Then you can review the data to see what's going on with voltages.

Also, it's normal for pack voltage to go "very" high (250-270V) during heavy decel - charging. If the voltage was 250+V with zero amps, then it certainly would "be in the red" (and maybe set codes).

The high voltage battery ecu is the silver aluminum box next to the contactor relays in the pack housing. It monitors battery pack conditions and sends the data to the hybrid control ecu (also controls the battery fan).

A not uncommon fault is that the orange connector (for the block voltage sense harness) gets corroded and skews the readings. Sometimes minor corrosion can be "cleaned". Other times the harness and ecu must be replaced.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#4 mr_guy_mann, Sep 3, 2024 at 10:32 PM
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2024 at 10:45 PM
  5. MAX2

MAX2 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    According to the photo, Dr. Prius battery is unbalanced.
    Try the Hybrid Assistant app for Android.
    It is free and allows you to read data from different systems, generate reports. Including the high-voltage battery in dynamics. This will be informative.

Techstream always shows 19 milliOhm internal resistance after disconnecting 12V.
    It is recalculated based on the results of the trips.