1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P3000 code

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Vixenkitty, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Vixenkitty

Vixenkitty New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 2009 Prius with 155k miles on it that had its hybrid battery and computer replaced 2 Year’s ago. At the time of replacement they swore all the could get for my year car was refurbished batteries. It also came with only a 1 year warrently and only if I also replaced the computer. Of course I was Leary. I asked if I could purchase an extended warranty. The answer was no but that ‘Toyota would take care of me’

Well 2 weeks ago the little red triangle with an exclamation point started coming on occasionally when breaking. Throughout this past week it has increased in frequency. Now it is coming on every time braking or decelerating (foot off the gas and not on autopilot). This is exactly what was occurring the first time the battery went bad.
    When I watch the battery on the energy screen it is stagnant. It is not charging during braking and it is not contributing energy when accelerating. I couldn’t get the car into dealership until this past Saturday. Let’s just say the weekend crew is not as on top of their game as the week day crew. Check in was confusing and did not instill confidence. They call later and say they don’t know what’s wrong with it but it’s NOT the battery. Really? They are kept the car until Monday. Because that is when they have a competent mechanic on? Or it’s when the head manager is on to deal with upset me when they tell me it is the battery?

So code came back today p3000, hybrid battery failure. They told me they cleared the computer of the code and it is working just fine. But they still don’t know for sure why it was happening. They hypothesize that I ran low on gas and ‘overexerted’ the battery to cause it to throw that code. But that would be subcode 388. I have asked for the subcode twice and they have not given it to me. At no point have I ever run out of gas. Admittedly I did get real low 1-2 weeks before it started throwing the code. So I guess it’s plausable. But I am still very skeptical. Shouldn’t it have started going crazy immediately after running low on gas?

Anyways I pick up the car tomorrow, I will insist on the subcode. And I guess we will see if further symptoms develop of recurr
    Any thoughts or experiences of others would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Never a good idea to allow the fuel level to run too low. Any reason why you do that?

If P3000 is the only DTC, then it makes sense that your low fuel level triggered the 388 subcode when you decelerated and sloshed the remaining fuel to the front of the bladder away from the fuel pump.

From now on keep at least a 1/4 tank and you should not have any more issues.

RCO likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you should look further into the 'refurbished' battery. it is likely they meant new modules in an old case. contact toyota directly. how much did they charge you?

RCO likes this.
  4. Vixenkitty

Vixenkitty New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the costs for the computer and battery ran 2400-2600.
    I had not realized I should keep it from running to low. Just thought it was super bad to run out entirely. And it’s just life that gets in the way of filling it sooner. But now that I know I will try to do better.
    But I have a sneaking suspicion I am going to be back at the dealership in 2-4 weeks with a battery issue. Otherwise why would the computer screen show a stagnant battery?

RCO likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how are your mpg's? apparently, your battery is strong enough to keep starting the engine, which wouldn't be the case if it were not being charged.

how low did you get on gas, and how would you know it was very low, if you didn't run out? the only way you could possibly damage the battery is if the the pump couldn't provide fuel to the engine, and you would get a whole dash full of lights if that were the case.

RCO likes this.
  6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Quite simply they lied; whether that was out of ignorance or on purpose is irrelevant now. New batteries from Toyota have always been available just like any other part for the car.

Your P3000 is a generic fault code in the HV battery system most likely due to the refurbished, used battery. BTDT I cancelled mine and was able to drive another 1,000 miles before finally getting a new battery. A 3 digit sub-code would help pinpoint where the issue is. Examples here: Code P3000 | PriusChat

RCO likes this.
  7. Vixenkitty

Vixenkitty New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks all
    So they say they can’t give me a subcode because the code they pulled was an old one that was never cleared from a previous event. I took it home and so far the drive home went well no red triangle and the energy monitor shows the battery responding.we will see how long I get before it starts throwing warnings again.