1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P3000, no low block voltages, car is run and drive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Jeff Wittenbrader, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Jeff Wittenbrader

Jeff Wittenbrader New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Good morning
    This is my first time using this chat. I have replaced 4 cells in the HV battery, no start prior to that, now the car runs and drives but still have P3000 and red triangle. battery is up to 62% charge. Block voltages running are within .4 volts. 4 and 5 block are the lowest. Cooling fan is operational. Not sure where to go next.
    Jeff W

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

There are additional INF subcodes associated with DTC P3000, can you please post the secondary code in this thread.

Example :

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Jeff Wittenbrader

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks for the welcome! I will see if my scanner shows me that, it is an Autel Elite...

4. Jeff Wittenbrader

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hello...So i just re-scanned.
    Hybrid Control shows P3000, clicking on the snowflake takes me to a detail sceen. Detail #2 shows me: 123 that is the only sub code.
    ABS shows: C1259 ( Regenerative Fault ) C1310 ( HV System Fault )
    Hybrid Battery : POAFA...I don't see any sub codes
    Block Voltage Low is #5 @ 15.7 to high #2 @ 16 V. Fan can be activated on all speeds. Blocks 13 and 14 come in at 15.86 and 15.97
    Any advice you can offer would be helpful...I was thinking of just driving it a few days and see what happens...Red Triangle is still on along with check engine, ABS ,etc...
    jeff W

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice to know that the Autel Elite can report INFs or secondary sub-codes by clicking on the snowflake.

After replacing the four (4) modules, were you able to balance the HV pack as a whole?

Here is the workup for P0AFA : https://attachments.priuschat.com/attachment-files/2019/02/161942_2006_Prius_RM_-_DTC_P0AFA_Inspect_Proc.pdf

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Jeff Wittenbrader

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The car had sat for about two years. It would not start. I checked block voltages with scanner and had some very low. 24 out of 28 were at 7.47 to 7.49. my replacements were at 7.67 so I discharged them to around 7.5. That was what I considered balancing...is that correct?
    Also, I cleaned the bus bars and torqued nuts to 48 inch pounds.

bisco likes this.
  7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Jeff, it sounds like you are doing generally the right thing, but a couple of things to clarify.
    No, this can more rightly be called equalizing. When you are sure each module has the same capacity as all the others equalizing to the same voltage is advisable.

Balancing is the process of continuing to charge a module, at very low amperage (300-350 mA), after it is charged so that all of the individual cells (6 cells in the case of Prius modules) within the module achieve a full charge.

To match the capacity, there are a few ways to do this. One would be to fully charge the entire 28 modules and then continue to do a balance charge for 4-6 hours, then let them sit for 7 days. After this time has elapsed, measure the static voltage. The good modules will have a similar voltage. Not so good modules will have a significantly lower voltage. A second way to compare capacities is to again fully charge and balance each module, then apply a known load* for 120 seconds, recording the starting voltage before the load is applied and the ending voltage at the 120 second mark before the load is removed. The good modules will discharge to the same voltage as its peers, but the bad modules will go much lower in the 120 seconds.

Keep up the good work, and I hope this helps.

*An easy way to build a load tester is to connect wires to both filaments of a headlight lamp (65/55W) and apply this across the module.

An example of a load tester you can purchase, but this is easily made yourself.

8. Jeff Wittenbrader

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    dolj
    Thank You for the input...I will work on that this week and update you with results.
    Happy New Year!