1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

p3004 sc 131 cracked 12v post, blown service plug fuse, no start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Dan Ger, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Dan Ger

Dan Ger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Owner brought me 2005 Prius. Diagnosed it to have misfire #3. Replaced broken spark plug and coil pack. P0a80 code. Several bad cells. I rebuilt hv pack with cells from a 2014 traction battery. Customer drove for a few weeks and reports that now car will barely move. I tow it back. Ready light comes on for 5 secs and then turns off with no start. Find that the auxiliary battery has a bent cracked positive post. Replaced the battery but the service plug fuse was blown (yes, the big hairy one) I replaced service plug with one from my past battery rebuilds. Car drives fine for 10 miles but after I parked it and came back out the next morning no start. Same symptoms as before but service plug is fine. What the? Ready light comes on for 5 secs, then goes off and the red triangle comes on with no start. DTC p3004 with subcode 131. I really thought it fried the inverter dc-dc converter and just decided to replace the inverter but no luck. Getting ready to pull the traction battery and probably just replace the relays and/or resistor with some form old batteries. Yes, I've got lots of battery parts. Anyone have suggestions on what you would do? I have mini VCI. Never seen this subcode before on all of the Prius's I've done.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try putting in another hv battery pack, with different relays

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    P3004 – Power Cable Malfunction
    Sub-code 131 – Power Cable Malfunction. When the main fuse is blown out, service plug is disconnected or limiter resistance is cut off​

The above decode would direct your attention to the power cable. Any help?

4. Dan Ger

Dan Ger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Guess I never mentioned the outcome of this issue. (I hate it when people neglect to do that) We removed the case from the battery and found a mess. The positive cable of the hv battery was fried and disconnected from the bolt-down connection. Relays were melted somewhat as well. Since we had cores we replaced all of that including the computer. Ran perfect ever since. My son actually did this replacement and my thoughts are that he didn't double check to make sure that the cable was bolted tight which heated everything up. This could have been alot worse then it was. I'm just glad it didn't catch on fire or injure someone. Thanks for the replys.

5. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Could you elaborate on the solution? I have the same problem but switching HV batteries did not fix the issue. I also have similiar AUX battery damage, maybe ECU communication problems, 299,999+ miles. And cannot get the thing running again. When it does run, theres no HV battery information logged on the OBD2.

6. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you click on Dan Ger's name, the site indicates that he was last on the forum in Oct. of 2020. I wouldn't expect a reply from him.

Why don't you test your car to find your problem?

I doubt that you have communication problems with your battery ecu - except for having a scantool that isn't capable of talking to it. Why? Because, if there was a comm fault, the contactors (controlled by the battery ecu) wouldn't close at all.

Since you said you had a P3000, there's some code in the battery ecu. Get a better scantool to find out what it is.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ive actually got vlc running on a laptop. Only problem is i have no idea how to use it to scan and find subcodes. The p3004 is what im getting. Switching battery packs did help it before but only for a few days.

8. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think he means VCI, which is of course not a scan tool, but the cable.

10. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Meh. I failed telepathy class and my ouija board isn't OBD2 compliant.

If all you have to communicate a complex subject is text, you need decent language skills to do so.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.