1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P3024 Code after new module install

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BDHyde, Apr 17, 2022.

1. BDHyde

BDHyde Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good afternoon fellow Prius people,

This is my first time replacing any modules on my 2007 Prius with 170k on it after I got the P0A80 code. Any module reading below 7.74 on the voltmeter was replaced. Most cells were between 7.74 and 7.8. (I’m wondering if my problem is coming from the new cells reading 7.88 and 7.85).

Everything went well except I’m getting a P3024 code after a little while of the car running. I can clear it and it will stay gone for a while before returning.

I did not charge the modules before putting them back in as I didn’t know that was a step. And looking more into it, I didn’t put any of them under load to see where they fell. I’m also reading about “Superman” blocks where one block is reading higher than the others, causing an imbalanced voltage.

So my question is, do I take it all apart again and buy a load tester and a charger? Or is my problem easier to diagnose than that and that my block 14 modules just need replaced since that’s what the P3024 code is reading? What is strange about that block is that isn’t any of the new modules and they are reading 7.8 and 7.82.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Replace entire block 14, keep the good module as a spare.

block 14 is the last pair closest to the ECU

BDHyde likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably better to just replace the bad module and not the whole block because a module from a different pack usually is slightly different than your pack's modules and by replacing both modules in a block it tends to double the severity of that problem.

In terms of next steps, it comes down to how far down the rabbit hole you want to go with pack rebuilding? Once we get a sense of that we can give you lots of info.

In general a full charge and balance after the rebuild greatly improves your odds of success. But you have to do lots of testing of each module to be sure it's 28 healthy modules. Maxx volts and Hybrid Automotive make high voltage chargers, but they're expensive. You can also build one yourself for much less: Build Hybrid Battery Maintenance Gear For Under $100 | PriusChat