1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

p3077 Battery fan problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by elendilmir, Jun 27, 2016.

1. elendilmir

elendilmir Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I just bit the bullet and got a new battery installed yesterday just shy of 200k miles. This will be my second remanufactured battery. It had been throwing p3006 codes, and my mechanic confirmed that it was dying, so I replaced it with a Dormund.

I got it back today, and it threw a P3077, which is a battery fan cooling malfunction. I had heard the fan in the past, so I know it was running. Could it be that this is just something that didn't get sorted out during the installation, or could it be that the fan had been dying all along, and that explains the short life (about 60K) of the first remanufactured battery?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Who installed it? Did they unplug the fan by mistake? You should clean the fan at the same time as the install......since everything is opened up already and taken apart

3. elendilmir

elendilmir Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    A local garage, who had worked on the car before. All the work is warrenteed (and just done this afternoon), I'm going to be bringing it back to them tomorrow or thursday. It's an old car, so I've seen a lot of error codes, but never this one. Could it be that the fan was on it's last legs and that's why the battery died a little young? What's the worst that can happen with a flakey fan? How much do they cost to install? Is it something that I can do, and is blowing some air through the thing something that I should be doing every 20K or so? Im trying to keep this guy on the road till 238K so that I can say I drove it to the moon, so I'm willing to take some steps.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm not familiar with 2002, but hopefully, you would get a trouble light if your fan wasn't working properly. it may be that it had to be unplugged to swap batteries, and she forgot to plug it back in.

5. elendilmir

elendilmir Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    My oversight. I do have a check engine light, which prompted me to break out the trusty OBD reader. My main display has been wonky for a decade, so nothing is showing there.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks. i think your mech will find it unplugged. but if it is dead, replacement should be pretty simple.

i don't know if you're paying attention, but reman batteries don't do that well here. who are you using? 60k isn't that bad. how many years did you get out of it?

7. elendilmir

elendilmir Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Here's to hoping. The fan itself is about $60. Maybe some labor to get to the thing. Because the garage is pretty civil, the work is warrenteed, and I just doped some pretty decent dough there this afternoon this should be covered.,

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)

9. elendilmir

elendilmir Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    It was a fan connection that wasn't fully fastened when the battery was replaced. My garage, Accu-auto of Mauginsville MD, was cool enough to handle it under the labor warantee without fighting me about it.

I believe the matter is finished.