1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P3125 solved

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by TheBatteryClinic, Apr 17, 2011.

1. TheBatteryClinic

TheBatteryClinic New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all

I thought I would post this up as I see a lot of people seem to have this problem and the only recourse seems to be a replacement of the inverter/converter.

Error codes I got were P3125 information code 496 they occurred in a 2002 Toyota Estima however the solution would be transferable to other models.

Replacing the inverter/converter made no sense as the vehicle actually drove although cut out intermittently. Also I could engage the eq charge so it was charging the battery.

Initially I disassembled the inverter/converter and checked the capacitors. Why? just because it was a starting point and an excuse to open up an inverter/converter. So if your interested I've added a couple of pics of the inside.

I did a lot of research and turns out coolant pumps are a common problem so check this first even if you don't have the P3130. The problem was solved when we checked the pump was working we found that the thermostat was gone. With the thermostat gone the inverter/converter was getting to hot and shutting itself down. Thus the intermittent starting, cutting out of the engine and a P3125 error code.

Hopefully this helps some of you and please check out our website and future developments including out patented Power Jockey.

Regards
    David
    The Battery Clinic

Attached Files:

ZahirBaba, Sophie and dogfriend like this.
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi David,

Thanks for your post. Which thermostat are you referring to, and can you post a photo of that part and its location?

I assume that you found the inverter capacitors were functioning OK?

420Kyleheman and ZahirBaba like this.
  3. TheBatteryClinic

TheBatteryClinic New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes capacitors checked out ok. Cars running now but still C1310 recurring cant figure it out. I didn't replace it myself so ill ask the guy tomorrow.

I have the attached on c1310 if any one can interpret it

Attached Files:

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    C1310 is just the ABS ECU having been told that regenerative braking was offline. But these codes are a pain to clear, usually requiring Techstream or jumpering terminals on the DLC.

5. sandra ortiz

sandra ortiz New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

#5 sandra ortiz, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018
  6. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Are you referring to the inverter coolant pump?

7. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Getting the pump fixed is definitely step 1. If you have P3125 and P3130, you always resolve the P3130 first.

1 person likes this.
  8. Sophie

Sophie New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Mr David,
    Please tell me which thermostat are you writing about? I have exactly the same problem and I am so happy to read this

#8 Sophie, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018
  9. ZahirBaba

ZahirBaba New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello David,
    Thank you so very much for the helpful post. My name is Zahir Baba from Tanzania East Africa... I have the same fault code and I wonder should i replace thermostat and water pump of engine together with hybrid pump? Also engine cooling fans takes long to start, what if i remove the thermostat and give it a try? Since we are living on tropical country, will it not harm just for few hours trial/test.
    Thanking you in advance and looking forward to seeing your recommendation.
    Zahir

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The original poster doesn't seem to have been back in eight years to clarify what "thermostat" was meant, even after being asked a couple of times by other posters who know there isn't one (in the inverter cooling circuit; of course the engine has one, but that's a separate loop).

In fact, looking again at the original post, I wonder if it wasn't just a clever piece of forum spam to advertise the "patented PowerJockey". Just enough of an attempt to resemble a real post to get people to read it.

11. Syed@9211

Syed@9211 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi I have Toyota alphard hybrid 2005 I have error code p3125 info code 496 I already change the inverter cooling pump but error still there I did reset the code but error come back al the time. Car drives fine but in dash malfunction light abs and vac lights are on.
    Is there any suggestions would be help thanks

Attached Files:

12. Syed@9211

Syed@9211 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

13. Syed@9211

Syed@9211 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi I change inverter cooling pump but error code is still there car is in running condition and not cutting power off. Any suggestions would be help