1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P3190 After EGR Cleaning, Now wont start.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by daley, Sep 2, 2023.

1. daley

daley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello, I hope someone here may be able to help.

I took on the task of doing the following -

- EGR Cooler and valve removal. I managed to find replacements at the junkyard so cleaned them ahead of taking things apart.
    - Intake manifold removal, clean and gasket replacement.
    - Engine Coolant drain and refill.
    - Inverter coolant drain and refill.
    - Replace PCV valve.
    - Change spark plugs.
    - Oil change.

I did all of these at the same time and before doing so did ;lots of reading and watching videos.

When I got everything back together I went to start it and the noise was awful, like a bag of hammers rattling around and I got 'check hybrid system message' as well as code P3190.

I have watched all the videos about this problem and have checked all the hoses that seem to cause this for other people, everything on my car looks as it should.

Car has 125k miles on it and was running great until I started what I thought was preventative maintenance!

I have taken the air box out again and checked everything, All hoses seem connected and clamped tight, all electrical connectors are connected, everything is torqued.

What could be causing this? I only have 15% hybrid battery charge left so can't try to start too many more times before I have other issues.

Is is possible the EGR could cause this? Maybe when cleaning it I damaged it?

Could the MAP or MAF filter have gotten damaged in the process? would they cause it? My MAP is reading 91KPA, is that normal?

Also could the metal gaskets be on the wrong way? I can't imagine they would cause it but?

I also put the old spark plugs back in to see if the new ones were defective, still no dice.

I just got back from the junkyard where I got hoses, sensors, throttle body etc etc just in case.

I really could do with getting the car going again ASAP for work and kid getting to school so any help or advice is really really appreciated.

Many thanks

Daley

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you have the old EGR Valve to put back? Your car has relatively low mileage at 125k miles, you could've reused your own parts. Only thing that takes a long time to clean is possibly the EGR cooler (which you can replace without any problems)

You did add oil to your engine right?

3. daley

daley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yep definitely put new oil in.

I am in process of changing gong in old egr now.

4. makbg1

makbg1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
  5. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check all connections and hoses. And the PCV valve hoses, it's common to miss those.
    You could have had/have some water in the intake manifold, doesn't need to be a lot, causing
    the knocking.
    Get a can of MAP/MAF cleaner and spray both. Do not use carb cleaner or brake cleaner on them.
    Alcohol will also work.
    It's doubtful you damaged the egr valve or cooler just by cleaning them.
    GO SLOW! Check every connector. Check every vacuum hose connection.

6. daley

daley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I put the old egr back on and took intake off again, put it all back together and fired it up, it started rough again but quickly cleared up and seems to be running ok again.

my hunch is the egr I put on was no good, but obviously could have been any number of things, nothing jumped out as missing or odd though.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There was a TSB for the EGR valve replacement. So there are definite trouble areas from that valve, or else there wouldn't be a TSB to replace it. I think you should be ok with your old one, throw the junk yard one away

8. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad you got it running.... junk yard parts are just that, junk..

9. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Generally the egr won’t keep it from running. It is supposed to be closed at startup but the engine will run if it was stuck open. Pcv hose or maf are the usual no start culprits after a teardown.