1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P3190 loss of power, and red triangle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dbryant1732, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Dbryant1732

Dbryant1732 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have recently changed the oil, trans-axle fluid, spark plugs, air filter, and PCV valve on my Prius, as well as install an aftermarket radio. The check engine light came on about a week ago and the red triangle with the diag code of P3190. I was able to clear the code with my phone and the car was running perfect again. It happened again this morning, I cleared the code, started the car and the code was back. I cleared it a second time and it still came back on. So I just parked the car and drove my truck. With putting in the new radio, I am wondering if the 12V battery really could be bad. Has anyone had a similar problem and replacing the 12V fix the check engine like??

Thanks!!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe you put too much oil in the car?

3. Dbryant1732

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I checked the oil when I first did it, and the level was good, I have not checked it since, I will double check it though. Thanks!

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do it first thing in the morning before you start the car

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A little info about the P3190 code. Seems like there's been a lot of posts lately about the engine not starting, etc. Maybe this link can help explain things better about how when an engine runs for 10-15 seconds and then turns off and codes out, it was never actually running anyway..also discusses solutions..

2001-2009 Prius P3191, P3190, P0A0F - easy checks for these common codes

6. Dbryant1732

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks!!! Looks like I have some troubleshooting to do tonight!

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did it throw the p3190 before or after the major tune up.
    Was the tune up chasing the p3190?

Lack of engine power
    Poor engine performance
    Usually seen after a jiffy lube severe oil overfill. The g2 takes 3.6 quarts with new dry oil filter.

Maybe the engine is just whooped. How many miles?

8. Dbryant1732

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It was before the code. I just bought the car used a few weeks ago, do not have a comprehensive maintenance record for the car, so just started from the top of the list of all routine maintenance. I did all the services myself. The car has 246K miles on it.

9. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No. Per Toyota, oil level checks are to be made at operating temperature on a level surface. Of course, you should always check the oil level after an oil change, regardless of anything else, before you start the engine; just to make SURE there is enough in there.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok then whatever happened during your tune up caused it. That's good news so just something silly probably. Sounds very throttle body ish.

if you have an air leak after the maf the car will run poorly. It may throw a lean condition as you have alot more air than what the maf is measuring. Its amazing how much air that little tb sucks. I would start spraying choke cleaner around mating surfaces of the TB as the car is running. if the engine speeds up when your spraying an area thats where the leak is. Make sure the pcv hose is intact and does not have a crack in the hose.ii

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's alot of oil stored up in the VVT Cam vane and VVT oil filter galley and the head during operation. Maybe 1/2 quart or more. If you don't allow the oil to completely drip back to the pan overnight it will show very low on the dipstick. Most modern cars are like that.

Car takes 3.6 quarts with a new oil filter. Fill the oil filter up about 3/4's before installing. Thats right on the full line every time.

To lurkers with G2's be careful about Jiffy Lube there database says 5 quarts in a G2. No matter who does my oil change I bring a 5 quart jug with 3.6 quarts in it. Can't F that up no matter who does it.

Stevewoods and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ed, not being argumentative, but Toyota wrote the procedure not I. If you think about it, it makes sense. It matters not how much oil is in the pan with the engine off and oil fully drained down, that condition only happens once per day at cold start. What REALLY matters is how much oil is in the pan with the engine running and that can be a MUCH different level as you correctly point out.

Toyota's guidance to check the oil with the engine at operating temperature, off, after being parked for a few minutes is how they calibrated the dipstick marks. Not something I invented.

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok so my oil pan is 3 quarts low when cold but that doesn’t matter because that only happens once a day.
    Got it.

Stevewoods likes this.
  14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it is 3 qts low when cold, it will be even lower when warm. So, you're not going to put oil in? Don't understand what point you're trying to make.

15. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Regarding checking oil

The point neglected in this is that Toyota goes on to say:

Park the vehicle on level ground. After turning off the hybrid
    system, wait a few minutes for the oil to drain back into the
    bottom of the engine.

So, they do want it all back in the pan, more or less.

As I have seen it explained:
    you're checking it hot after waiting for a few minutes to allow the oil to drain back into the pan because hot oil expands in volume vs. cold oil. True, the expansion is small, but the engineers must think it's enough to suggest checking the oil hot instead of cold, after an appropriate wait time to allow all the oil to drain back into the pan.

To me, I check it dead cold.

Raytheeagle and edthefox5 like this.
  16. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Take it up with Toyota, not my plan.

I will say, if your oil level is 3 qts low cold, you should have checked it long before now.

17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Exactly....checking it warm means the oil will drain back to the pan faster...has nothing to do with whats in the engine versus the pan.
    The goal whether its dead cold or few minutes later is to measure the total volume available to the engine that has accumulated in the pan. The total volume of engine oil in the engine. Not whats up in the engine + whats in the pan. Most accurate way to do that is check it dead cold. After hours of sitting there.

Raytheeagle and Stevewoods like this.
  18. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    jeez...........the things we choose to argue about........maybe manufacturers decided years ago, when there were 'service' stations, instead of gas stations, it would be quicker for the attendant to check the oil if he didn't have to wait for the engine to cool down. Maybe that's why they decided to just make the procedure for warm/hot engines? Food for thought........plus, if an eighth of an inch level change between cold and hot really matters, then I wouldn't want that engine in my car, because I would be looking at an awful lot of engine replacements.

jerrymildred likes this.
  19. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ya know, part of the reason I prefer to read the oil when dead cold is that

I CANNOT GET AN ACCURATE READING OTHERWISE

Maybe it is my car. Maybe it is me, but for the first hour or two after shutting down -- be it my Prius, my Ford or my Camry, I have oil streaks up and down the dipstick.

After five or so hours, no streaks, no doubts. The oil line is what it is.

JC91006, edthefox5 and Raytheeagle like this.
  20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two