1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P3190, P0A0F, and a few days later, P0301 pending

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kayla Colflesh, Jul 4, 2022.

1. Kayla Colflesh

Kayla Colflesh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yesterday morning, I started the car, Battery SOC indicator was purple and Engine started immediately to charge battery after in READY. Then after 3 seconds, the engine instantly shut off, and both the check engine and red triangle of death appeared. Pulled codes with Torque and only got P3190. I had to go to work so I turned the car off and used a friend's car. Popped hood before leaving.

After work, I manually checked the 12V terminal under the hood, read 12.61 volts. Techstream only showed 2 DTC's; P3190 (Poor Engine Power), and P0A0F (Engine Failed To Start). After a few mins, the red triangle disappeared. The codes are still currently in the ECU's.

The engine idles rough while parked.

Under the cumulative monitor, misfire test shows 4 counts of misfire on cylinder 1.

Checked oil level, oil isn't milk, checked radiator cap, checked coolant overflow.

I removed the maf sensor. The tip was covered in dust. I sprayed the whole thing down (out of the car) with CRC MAF cleaner.

---

Today, I reinstalled the maf sensor, turned the car on, and checked the "MAF g/s" in Torque. It seems to be normal, goes up as I press the accelerator, and down when I let go. The engine is still hesitating in my driveway.

I pulled the codes again, and I'm getting a new one, pending P0301 (Cylinder 1 Misfire).

I'm able to provide any data that you would need to see in either Techstream or Torque Pro.

I'm thinking my next step is, inspect the spark plugs for corrosion, if so, replace them. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Kayla Colflesh

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Edit: Forgot to mention, my engine hesitates only during idle (regardless if it's charging the hybrid battery), and while I'm flooring it with the e-brake. It sounds like it's vibrating a lot more inside the cabin. But while driving, it runs smoothly, and does not have any problems.

I'm not a mechanic, but I am fairly competent with tools and doing work on my car.

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    One of the most common causes of engine hesitation and misfire is the ignition system. Could be worn out spark plugs, a weak ignition coil, or sometimes on older Gen2 Prius, water can leak onto the engine and get into the spark plug bore for cylinder #1.

Usually I would replace all the spark plugs and at least the coil on the problem cylinder as a first step to "baseline" the engine. If the budget allows I do all the coils.

Only use NGK or Denso plugs (and Denso or Toyota coils) from a reputable source. That would be dealer, a big brick and mortar store, Rockauto, etc. Counterfeits -esp online- are a constant concern.

Another common fault is a dirty MAF sensor. Use the search function to read up on removing and cleaning this.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There are three possible causes for a misfire. Electrical/spark (spark plugs, coils, etc like stated in post #3. Fuel (fuel pump problem or dirty/bad injectors, etc). Air (dirty air filter, MAF, vacuum leak, etc).

You seem to be competent working on cars so I would start with the spark plugs and coils. How many miles on the car? When were the spark plugs last replaced?

I live in York and own a 2011 (gen 3) Prius. I have no experience working on a gen 2, but if you need help I am available for the next few days.

SFO likes this.
  5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Call your coils up that just involves pulling a cover up and undoing some 10 mm and see if you see rust colored vapor all over the coils. If you do you need to pull them out have a look at why that vapor is there and especially if it's in the number two you'll need to pull that plug and see if you see any mild misty water drops and then we're pretty much done here I think we'll see.

6. Kayla Colflesh

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The car has 290k miles, and the spark plugs were replaced at 240k as a part of an engine rebuild (head gasket blown).

I appreciate the offer! I'll pm you if I need help in person. I won't be able to work on removing the spark plugs till tomorrow morning, but I'll post here if I have any updates.

7. Kayla Colflesh

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Had time today after work to change them out. Apparently, the spark plugs were worn out big time. Cylinder #1's spark plug had quite a bit of the insulation burned off (see attachment #1) There was also parts of a mouse nest right next to its coil. The wires themselves look fine.

prius07-290k-odo_spkplg-1.jpg
    IMG_20220705_173317508.jpg

There was neither rust nor abnormal colors on the coils thankfully. They all look gray. :)

I removed the maf sensor and cleaned it prior to starting this thread.

8. Kayla Colflesh

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The only thing I'm concerned about is that I dropped the plug that I put in cylinder #4. It landed on the plastic cover below the engine. The plug didn't look damaged. However when I went to start the car, I cleared DTC's and monitor data. The engine was still hesitating on idle, and it shook the car while it turned off. Techstream reported 23 misfires on cylinder #4.

But then I turned the car on/off several more times, revved it up while in drive, there were very little/no misfires reported (like 1 or 2 here and there), and the engine sounds perfect.

I haven't taken it for a test drive yet.

Does anyone think I should take the time to remove spark plug #4, return it back to Advanced Auto Parts, and install another one? Or just not worry about it, and test drive the car?

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Drive the car hitting the plastic cover will not hurt the plug hitting the pavement on its side pretty much won't hurt the plug unless it's from 5 ft or higher generally but if you don't see any cracks in the insulation and it looks as new let it rip you think there's something wrong change 3 and 4 and see if it follows I doubt it

10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Just because the coils look gray that means you don't have any vapor and rust forming in their butt they are old I didn't follow your thing so I don't know if you've changed them or not if you have it and you're at 200,000 mi it's a good time especially if you've got a lot of missing going on.

11. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Might as well drive it from a cold start and see how it does. The ceramic insulator on number 1 plug didn't "burn away", it cracked and part broke off (& went out the exhaust port).

The question is WHY? The leading possibilities are detonation (too lean? too much oil consumption?) or possibly thermal shock (coolant leak?) Cross your fingers and hope it doesn't do it again.

12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another possibility is the plugs were counterfeits. It is hard to tell from the picture whether the iridium cap is still there on the ground electrode.

The center electrode should not be that worn after only 40,000 miles if it were a genuine iridium-tipped electrode.

I'd make sure to get genuine Denso or NGK plugs and replace them all.

You also need to entertain the idea that the plugs have damaged one or more of the coils. In any case, the coils don't last forever. If you do decide that you will replace any of the coils, use only genuine OEM (or Denso) coils if you can afford them – they will work out cheaper in the long run.

13. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Who was the manufacturer of the old and new spark plugs installed?

I am glad that you easily found the reason for the misfire.

14. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    If you didn't replace those ignition coils during the rebuild; I'd budget for a new set and replace them sometime this year. You've got 300K+ miles out of them and in my experience they don't just die, they just misfire a lot. If you have to make a left turn, into on-coming traffic - this would be an inopportune time for it to start misfiring!!!!!
    I had a bad coil on my GMC truck but I had 5 additional cylinders to rely on. That bad coil lasted 18 month, before it finally died and I was able to track it down. I didn't get a CEL until it died, only a pending P0300 - which was no help. That was around 243K miles. Six months later, the same problem started again - that's when I went with a new set of iridium plugs and coils. OEM only calls for platinum plugs; but I take this thing into the back woods; so I wanted to make sure I didn't have to walk 15 miles out to get a cell signal. It's been two years, no more issues or intermittent misfires...

Hope this helps....