1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P3191, P3009, P3000, & C1259 Codes

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by buddy77, Oct 12, 2009.

1. buddy77

buddy77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2003 Priuis with 109k. Red triangle is on. Dealer retrieved codes P3000, P3009, P3191, & C1259. They say the HV battery is leaking & I need a new one. Have not noticed any decrease in the car's performance. Would like to troubleshot this before spending the money to replace the battery. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    OK, don't panic yet. Let's talk about vehicle history first. have you have TSB EG011-03? SSC 40G? The latter is HV battery reseal, and very relavent to the diagnosis so far.

P3000 and 3009 are related to HV battery function, but there are important subcodes and sometimes they can be benign. C1259 relates to the braking/regeneration functions. P 3191 is engine no start/slow start and its' the reason I asked about TSB EG011-03.

First, give us as much info as possible. Second, do you have good experience with the diagnosing shop? If not are there other nearby options? We need to have you in the most competent local hands possible.

Finally, I reckon that you are only 9000 miles past the warranty on this system. If it turns out that you need a new battery I am going to assign you to a telephone operation to Toyota customer experience. They authorize post-warranty freebies (or not) and polite persistence there seems to be the best way to turn the tide.

Good luck, and tell us everything you know!

3. buddy77

buddy77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Sorry that I have taken so long to reply. The TSB EG011-03 was performed in Oct. 2006. None of my local dealers have any record of a SSC 40G.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P3009 means that the traction battery ECU has detected a high voltage leak to ground. Many components could potentially cause this DTC including the transaxle, the inverter, the traction battery and the ECU itself.

I suggest you ask the service writer how the tech determined that the battery is bad instead of another component. The correct troubleshooting technique uses a megger (a high voltage ohmmeter) to determine which component has a ground fault.

SSC 40G is a recall notice and has the Toyota tech apply sealant to the 38 modules to reduce the likelihood of an electrolyte leak.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    SSC special service campaign, not recall. If it was not done that is extremely relevant to the situation here, because it has no time or odometer limits.