1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PA, NJ, DE

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by greenmtx, Jan 2, 2016.

1. greenmtx

greenmtx New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm new here and looking to purchase my first Prius. I want to first thank everyone for the great information on these forums! I've wanted a Prius for years, but wanted to wait until I drove my 2001 Corolla into the ground.

I'm thinking now is a good time to buy a 2015 Prius 2, but the dealers around here don't seem to want to go lower than 21k (pre fees). Has anyone had any luck getting lower than that in the PA/NJ/DE area? I'm really wishing I was in CA right now, seeing all of the great deals you guys get there!

Thank you for any advice.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    best time to buy is at the end of the month, not in the beginning

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    2015 leftovers are disappearing off the lots. Liberty Toyota is offering a 2015 Two for $21224. Ask for quotes from truecar using zip codes in different states. Use 08077 for Philadelphia area and 08520 for Trenton area in NJ. Holman, Liberty & Turnersville have 5 or fewer cars on the lot. Conicelli & Dayton have one each. If you can find a new Prius sitting on the lot for less than $21300 put down a deposit.

If you can wait another 3 to 6 months the 2016s should be discounted but don't expect to see 2015 prices.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  4. greenmtx

greenmtx New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did check on Thursday - was running into the same issue that JimN pointed out - inventory is very low. Thanks for your help! I'll keep plugging away :)

5. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you don't want the one in Burlington my next recommendation is working with a local dealer in PA who is willing to look for inventory in the Central Atlantic Region (VA, WV, MD, DE, PA) or a dealer in NJ for the New York Region (NJ, NY, CT).

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah common down to the Beltway dealers in MD/VA...but I have not heard any deals. Usually MD is cheaper as they charge several hundred less dealer fee or whatever they call it, and MD is full CARB.

7. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A MD truecar price is $20566. Russel has one for $21681 Koons has three in Westminster for $20236, Carmax/Laurel has three, Jerry's has a Three for $20758. Koons has several lots so the car is on the lot you are visiting.

PA isn't a full CARB state so you won't be covered under the 10/150000 warranty by buying in MD. How far will drive to save $1000? Time for a road trip.

greenmtx likes this.
  8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree PA is not full CARB but if you live in a CARB state, MD is better than VA for purchase.

9. greenmtx

greenmtx New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I really appreciate your help and I'm kicking myself that I didn't see this before it was too late! I went ahead with the dealer near me - but now I see I could have gotten a 3 in MD for cheaper! MD didn't even cross my mind when I was contacting dealers. Ohh well, it's done now. This was my first ever new car purchase, and definitely a learning experience. Thank you again!

10. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Price isn't everything. I can't vouch for any of the mentioned dealers' sales practices. Any number of things could have soured the deal. Always verify the ability to participate in any promotional offering. Residency requirements are often imposed.

I wouldn't have considered buying a car in MD but since they are a full CARB state I'll keep them in mind. Elkton & "Greater Baltimore" aren't that far away.

On the plus side you'll be able to go to the dealer's new owners party and may be able to score some free service coupons. Enjoy the car. If you are in the area check out the EEVC at Home.

greenmtx likes this.
  11. greenmtx

greenmtx New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're right, MD really isn't that far away and I will definitely consider it in the future. I had no idea that dealer's have new owners parties - I'll look into that. Thanks for sending me the EEVC invite, that's not too far from me!

12. minnyprius

minnyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hello everyone! I love a bargain hunt... For what it's worth, the two markets that seem to be the cheapest for average purchase prices are Washington DC and Boston. If you're searching by zip code, try putting in one of those areas (I used to live in 02130 in Boston, try that). But doing a quick search on Cars.com shows Fred Anderson Toyota in Raleigh, NC 27617 to have several 2015 2s for just over $18,000 (I'm sure that includes every possible rebate, including College Grad and Military, but still... seems like the best deal if you're willing to travel a bit).

Good luck in your search!