1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PAC-Audio RP4.2-TY11 installation Tips for G2 Prius with JBL

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by 3prongpaul, Mar 30, 2017.

1. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Recently installed an Alpine CDE-143BT into a 2005 Prius with JBL.

Used the PAC Audio RP4.2-TY11 and it was reasonably plug and play. (after figuring out you don't need to use all the connectors) crimp the harnesses up like the attached photo.

Set Dip switch on RP4.2-TY11 for the type of radio you have. For Alpine switch 1 has to be ON (down) position. The default settings made the steering wheel controls work without programming.

Notes;

1) Remove all CDs from factory radio before removing it. Set all the audio options (bass, treble, fader etc) "in the middle" on the factory radio (touchscreen) before removing it.

2) If you want AM radio work well crimp the blue wire with the red wires as the photo shows. (Prius AM antennae needs power to work properly).

3) If you radio has a remote in jack (looks like headphone plug) you don't need to hookup any other wires for steering wheel controls to work.

4) You do not need to add a resistor to the Prius harness to get the touchscreen to work properly. The PAC unit takes care of it.

5) Test everything BEFORE permanently mounting the radio. At first the audio on the Alpine was cutting out. After calling PAC tech support I had to download their software, hookup a laptop via USB to the PAC while IN THE CAR with radio on, then "uncheck" the automatic fade settings. After I did that everything worked well.

6) Once it's all working smush all the wires and the PAC unit into a bundle and place below the radio. There's enough room to assemble the dash without trouble.

IMG_7988 (1).jpg

RoadPansy, seancca and SFO like this.
  2. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The box for the interface says "RadioPro 4" but the official part number is RP4.2-TY11. Some may just call it RadioPro4.

SFO likes this.
  3. peecee

peecee Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm using a RadioPro4 to connect a Pioneer head unit in my 2004 Prius. I have a few wires on the RP4 bundle that I can't find a match for on the Pioneer harness. Specifically, I have a Parking Brake wire on the Pioneer harness that doesn't match up. I see there's a parking brake disable setting in the RP4, so there should be a parking brake wire on the RP4 harness. There's also a mute wire on the Pioneer harness that I can't find a match for on the RP4 harness. Since there's a steering control for mute, I'm hoping there's a wire on the RP4 harness that connects to it. Thanks for posting this up!

4. seancca

seancca Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh wow thanks so much for this! They seriously have way too many wires for this! Haha

5. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had bad luck with Pioneer radios and RP4.2-TY11 so test everything before you put it all back in the dash. For parking brake wire on Pioneer buy the bypass for $15 on Amazon, then you can then watch DVDs and update the radio anytime you want.

6. seancca

seancca Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am using a Sony HU but I just wanted to double check in your photo from the radio harness off the RP4 you did not separate any of the navigation wires correct?

7. RoadPansy

RoadPansy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you 3ProngPaul for your attached image, it gave more clarification than the poor instructions ever could with the RP4. For me after the initial installation I noticed the audio cutting in and out every few seconds but my subwoofer was not effected, as well as, the top view screen would go black for a second then come back every minute or so. Annoying. So I looked everything over, verified everything was where it should be and suddenly it hit me... I forgot to update the firmware. After the update everything is functioning as it should but am not all that sure if the call buttons on the steering wheel function (since no one has called me since yesterdays install) but the volume buttons work fine with a very slight delay.

Kenwood KMM-BT515HD radio

Thank you again for that picture, saved me $75 for someone else to do it for me.

I also would have saved myself more time had I remembered to re-read your post. This is how we learn right? haha

Attached Files:

8. Guido-NHW20

Guido-NHW20 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    Haha, same problem with the sound here,.... Did not do an update of the firmware so thanks, think that my problem will be solfed this afternoon.

9. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hey! I'm looking to do the upgrade to my Prius 2006, is everything working good still? I'm a bit worried because people are saying that PAC doesn't really work 100% with the prius? Any advice appreciated!

10. sjthespian

sjthespian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thank you so much for this post! I've spent nearly two weeks going back and forth with Crutchfield support trying to get my Pioneer MVH-2400NEX working with the RP4, and this post solved almost all of my issues (while Crutchfield support couldn't).

A few notes:
    • There is no longer a blue wire on the harness. Crutchfield says I should be able to connect the red (power) line to the orange wire in pin 13 on the 20-pin harness, but I'm still trying to confirm that with a wiring diagram of the 20-pin connector if I can find one.
    • The resistor is the big secret, with it in place I was getting audio drop-outs every few seconds. I'm talking to Crutchfield about updating their install instructions with corrections to the RP4 instructions
    • The other trick is making sure you set the volume to max and the fade and balance to center before removing the stock radio. Otherwise you will be stuck with these as your baseline max volume and center position on the RP4. The fix is to connect up a Windows laptop running their configuration app, which is almost as bad as their install instructions (I still don't have half the functionality working in their app)

SFO likes this.