1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pacific Crest Trail - the last 200 miles - and potential Prius meets

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JimboPalmer, May 2, 2018.

1. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In 1981, I helped my brother John walk on the Pacific Crest trail.
    John was just getting out of 6 years with the US Air Force, and did not want to take orders for a long, long time.
    I took off Spring and Summer quarters of college and started again in the fall. (I walked from Campo, CA to Mt Adams, WA 2550 miles in 155 days. I last got John food and laundry in Cascade Locks, OR)
    My brother Jess walked the first 30 days, to Palmdale, CA, then entered the Air Force Academy for four years, then served an additional 23 years in the USAF.
    I have a slide show entered by John's boys, the pictures are all backwards and frequently out of sequence. Jimbo Palmer | Facebook

Once I left, the family brought John food, the Parents met him at White Pass, on US 12
    Our sister met him at Snoqualamie Pass on I-90
    I met him at Stevens Pass on US 2, and he was in trouble. He had no body fat left, he had not done laundry since Oregon, so his clothes had no loft, and the temperature had fallen from in the 70sF, to under freezing. I gave him everything I was wearing, but two days later he had to get out.

This December John retired from computer programming/online sales. He began to plan to walk the final 200 miles he did not complete in 1981. He will be much slower! It appears he will need 3 weeks to complete what would have been his final week on the PCT. (john's other retirement plan was a new Prius Prime, he has about 300 miles on it)

I think I am going to WA in September to provide food drops for him.

Drop him off at Stevens Pass still on US 2. find him on the Suiattle River Access trail, meet him at Rainy Pass, SR 20 North Cascades Highway, and pick him up on Trans Canada 3 in Manning Provincial Park. My daughter may also meet him at Windy Pass, we have not confirmed that. (i ruled out a float plane to Holden, WA, and a combination ferry from Chelan to Stehiken, WA and a bus 11 miles out of Stehiken, both seem unlikely to be successful.

If this comes together like I plan, I expect to be based in Bellingham, WA but only busy one day in six. I may have a borrowed Prime and be able to visit from Portland, OR north to Vancouver, BC.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have a great time!(y)

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I have no doubt that PNW Prius people will contact you with offers to assist.

4. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My kind of thing, but I will have a tiny obligation about then. There are a few other regulars on here from the PNW. None of them have offered to fund my IPA account, but I do not hold that against them. :eek:

Sort of a long time ago, but I know when I did a couple of runs, Bisco was the only one who offered to join, but with the addendum that I needed to carry him for most of the distance.
    kris

As a PS, I just recommended the 1,000 mile summer to my brother-in-law. I know it is a hopelessly outdated book by Colin Fletcher, but I loved it. It was in my dad's bookcase.

m.wynn and tochatihu like this.
  5. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1) Had we done 3 1000 mile summers, we would have suffered less long term muscle and bone damage.

2) Every fact/experience/bit of gear we used/knew is obsolete after 37 years. We will have to rethink the menu and gear.

3) I too read 1000 mile summer as a Boy Scout, not knowing I would walk the same route.

If he wants a modern version, this is 9 1/2 minutes:

(All the expletives involve Forester Pass, which deserves them, most of the screaming like a little girl involves swimming in ice water)

#5 JimboPalmer, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
    cyberpriusII and hyo silver like this.
  6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    It is not beyond hope that REI might be drawn into supporting this long family/ groovy-car epic.

Write to them. Toss out some ideas how they might benefit.

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    As REI vends newest fashions and fabrics, they need to call back to Colin Fletcher and similar. Steak behind the sizzle. This is your play, Jimbo.

8. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Depending on how you go northwest, you could always pass through the Bay Area on your way;).

We can get a good group together in relatively short notice:).

Give us the weekend in September and I’m sure we could make something work(y).

m.wynn likes this.
  9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I'm free when you're in Vancouver, I'd love to get together.

My Grandmother gave me a copy of Colin Fletcher's The Complete Walker, which is still on my bookshelf decades later. Hiking equipment has changed a fair bit over the years, but many basics haven't, and his advice and experience is still relevant.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  10. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Complete Walker; The Man who Walked Through Time -- Colin at his best.

Very sad how his life ended.

Hey, anything beats "that other book," (not Colin's) unless you like fiction -- for those who know what I mean.....

kris

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We hope to be car camping and day hiking along Hiway 20 in the Rainy Pass area again this September into early October, but nothing firm enough to be part of any support plan.

The ferry from Chelan is a very nice scenic trip. But you'd want to overnight in Stehekin to use the bus service to the PCT at High Bridge, as the once-daily ferry isn't docked long enough for a same-day visit to the trail.

We have bicycled from Stehekin up the road to High Bridge / Agnes Creek, in 95F weather. But we were much younger then, the bus is certainly preferable now.

One of our few bear encounters was at High Bridge. Actually our third encounter with it the same day, as the young bear was enjoying the same trail as many day hikers. While waiting for the return bus (I had exhausted my cycling energy the previous day, refused to pedal out there again in the hot weather) after hiking a non-PCT trail, we took a short jaunt out the Big Agnes Creek trail. Returning as the bus was waiting for its departure time, other passengers from a previous stop were sitting around the ranger station camp to cool off from the baking bus. I spotted the bear coming down the trail beyond them, pointed, and tried to holler "Bear!". It took several stuttering tries before anyone understood enough to turn around to look behind. The bear was within a few feet of several lounging folks. Plenty of startled looks from humans, but the bear was unperturbed and kept ambling nonchalantly towards his goal of getting across the bridge, where we had crossed seconds earlier.

JimboPalmer likes this.
  12. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    That is my experience as well, bears are disinterested in humans, although they may be interested in un attended food.

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    This exhausts my supply of bear-humor images. Somebody else take over:

bear sleep.jpg

GrGramps likes this.
  14. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I fly into SeaTac 9/6, and fly back out 10/2. I expect to be near the Washington coast early (Bay Center, Montesano) and in BC late. 9/29?

Once he makes it to the first food drop, we will all have a better idea how fast this will be.

15. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Our weather has been very "acceptable" to a very bad fire season.

Who knows. Things may change. But many of my Pacific Northwest friends who live in the rural hinterlands are a bit apprehensive this year and this is a bunch that does not worry on the drop of a dime.And I have never heard this level of concern in all of my years here.

So, just keep track of wildfires and keep me in your thoughts.

Where I live there is only one way out and that route is the one most likely to be overcome by flames. EEEK.
    kris

16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Keep track at InciWeb or where else?

17. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I keep track at the Oregon Department of Forestry's Wildfire blog site, which is easy enough to find with Google. It is the quickest to be updated (or at least it has been), but that only covers Oregon.

18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    ODF site includes "blogspot" which has implications for your friends in parts of Asia :D

Besides InciWeb has national coverage.

19. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty much like any American. While I am somewhat curious about other spots. I really only care about wildfires in MY area.

And that statement comes with a bunch of caveats, but I am not up to detailing them.

20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Our thoughts and prayers can only do so much. Your job is to prepare for situation.

'prepper' websites can be extreme in some aspects but still offer useful advice. Such as:

Copies of essential paperwork – You should store your originals in a fireproof safe, but in your emergency bag keep copies of:
    • Homeowners/renters insurance.
    • Car insurance.
    • Titles and deeds.
    • Drivers/firearms licenses, passports.
    • Your inventory of valuables (for insurance replacement policies).
    • Flash Drive of precious family photos and videos.

cyberpriusII likes this.