1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pacific NW First Tank Report

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by jacaufie, Jan 17, 2006.

1. jacaufie

jacaufie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I picked up my 2006 model on January 1st and have finally gone through my first tank of gas. I chickened-out when I hit one bar left on the fuel display, so I may have been a bit premature refueling. Whatever, here are my stats:

MFD:
    389 miles
    43.0 MPG Average

Hand calculation:
    389.3 miles
    8.499 gals

This has been almost exclusively my driving to and from work, which is 8 miles one-way. The driving is a 50/50 mixture of side streets and 60mph freeway.

The temperatures here in the Portland area have been relatively benign - 40-50 degrees F. I keep the car in a semi-heated garage, so the warmups have been minimal. I've also kept the AC off and the temp set to 68 degrees with the fan on the lowest setting.

Time will tell if the MFD is correct or not. Here in Oregon we're not allowed to fill our own tanks but I witnessed the pump shut off automatically and the attendant did not add additional fuel.

All things considered (new driver, new car) I'm delighted with either figure. :D

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

start a spreadsheet and enter the date, mileage, temp, display mpg, calculated mpg. and I include station location and brand. If you do this for every tank you'll eventually know how far you can go on the last bar and if something starts to go wrong with the car etc.

3. jacaufie

jacaufie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Roger that. Thanks for the advice.

Jim

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    definitely track your stats. your glee over the mileage you are getting now will turn into unmitigated euphoria come this summer when you start threatening EPA numbers.

something that resembles work under any other circumstances will become a hobby that you will start to look forward to and anticipate like a kid the week before Christmas....all the while the sensible side of you will try to rationalize that its just a car...but we all KNOW better than that.

soon, your spreadsheet will be your ammunition against SUV owning neighsayers...

Read it and WEEP!@@! will be your new battle cry...

yes definitely record your Prius for prosperity... trust me, if you dont you will regret it.